Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mixing trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixing trans fluid?

i've got a mostly stock 2002 trans am ws6 m6 with 100,500miles. i bought the car maybe 3 months ago and i want to change my tranny fluid to be on the safe side. I've been reading up on here about mobil 1 who recommends what all of that and i've come across a few people that said they mix 2 fluids. Is this safe? trans is stock and i was reading that the synchromesh is good for higher miles but dont like the cold so much and the mobil 1 is notchy to some people but for most an all around good fluid. If i did an even mix of mobil 1 and synchromesh would it be worth it? im thinking maybe like the lucas oil stabilizer for 3qts mobil1 put one qt synchromesh hows it sound? or should i just do the mobil1? Im in jersey and the cars a dd so it sees all weather including snow and ice which is whats making me think more mobil1 than synchromesh. also are the 2 fluids even compatible? maybe some jersey people can chime in and tell me what they run.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

I think some have mixed these with no ill effects.
I would just go with ALL of one or the other.
I'm in north Jersey and I use Mobil 1. As you've heard; when I used all Synchromesh it shifted better than the Mobil 1 once FULLY warm, but it grinded and was VERY 'notchy' when cold (and especially when colder outside).
Since mine is also an only car/daily driver, and is always kept outside, I elected to go with the M1.
IF I had the coin to throw away, I would change back and forth between M1 (fall/winter) & Synchromesh (spring/summer).
Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

but youve had no grinding or notching with the mobil1?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
but youve had no grinding or notching with the mobil1?
NO grinding, but the M1 is a little less 'smooth' (and slightly 'notchier') when fully warm than the Synchromesh was when at the same (warm) temps.
But this is all relative and almost splitting hairs since (in stock/factory form at least) the T56 is NOT known as a 'butter smooth/snicky' type of gearbox anyway, regardless of the fluid used.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I use Redline D4. Good in cold and warm.

IMHO I would not "mix" brands.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea it sounds like im just gonna stick with all mobil 1. thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ******
I use Redline D4. Good in cold and warm.
That's exactly what would be in mine (I use and fully trust Red Line engine oils) IF I were certain it would not harm the cellulose composite blocker rings in ANY way, shape, or form.

But the results I hear about the D4 are just too mixed to give me that confidence, so I stick with the 'known to be safe' Mobil 1.