Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Slave Install Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slave Install Question...

I got the new slave installed and I'm working on bolting up the transmission to the bellhousing. I started all the easy bolts by finger, and it pulled up pretty easy until there was about a 3/8" gap left. Now I'm having to put quite a bit more torque on the bolts to get them to pull up, and I'm concerned that I'm screwing something up.

I've got the bleeder open on the slave, and I hooked up the master, but is it possible that the extra force is needed just to compress the spring on the slave?

As far as I can tell there aren't any wires getting pinched between the 2 flanges. I was thinking of using some ratchet straps to pull up the gap first and then tighten the bolts...what do you think?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you put a new pilot bushing in?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Launching!

When finishing mine, it got into a bind. It was about the same distance. I backed off, shook the rear of the trans a bit, and then it pulled in easily.

I think I didn't have the alignment right. I simply backed off and set both the left, right, top, and bottom distances the same around the perimeter of the gap. This was the 3rd time I had installed the trans in 10 days, I got a bad new slave that leaked at the seal. THe first two times everything went smoothly, albeit with more attention to alignment.

At that point you probably got the pilot bushing started by then. Nothing good comes out of forcing it.

cheers.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

I didn't replace the pilot bushing...just the slave.

Thanks for the input Dan. I was trying to avoid backing the transmission out again (but I know it's the right thing to do). I think the angle that the motor is sitting at is giving me trouble. It seems like the bellhousing is pointed up too much. I didn't have any clearance between the shifter flange on the transmission and the lip of the cutout on the tunnel.

I was thinking of jacking the front of the motor to get it angled down some. Any thoughts/tips?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can jack up the motor in the front, it will help. I recommend changing the pilot bearing, you're right there. Another trick it to have a buddy up front rotate the pulley (using a breaker bar and a socket) to help line up the trans.

Quick Reply: Clutch Slave Install Question...