Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

UMI Adjustable Torque Arm Installed... Strange Noises!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Adjustable Torque Arm Installed... Strange Noises!

I just installed a new UMI adjustable T/A on my 02 WS6 M6 a couple weeks ago.. the model that moves the front mounting point to the crossbrace on the floorpan. Ever since the car has been making an annoying whining noise almost all the time only while the car is moving, especially on deccell and coasting in neutral and i've been feeling vibrations all over. The whining noise sounds almost exactly like it did before I had the rear end overhauled and had the ring and pinion backlash adjusted, but the noise does not sound to be coming from the rear, sounds like mid to front of car. I know the vibration is caused by the fact that the crossbrace is pushed all the way against the ypipe, but I can not solve the whining noise to save my life.

I had the pinion angle at -6 degrees (by accident) for the 1st couple days, when I talked to jerry at Tech. Support at UMI he told me to put it down to -3 and the noise should go away.. nope.. then put it as close to zeroed out as I could get it.. still no help.. The car has never seen the track..(yet)... and i only step on it every so often.. just had the trans completely rebuilt back in january.. everything was absolutely fine up until the torque arm install and it has been an issue every since.. the only thing I can think of is maybe the crossbrace being pushed up against the ypipe is causing the noise as well as the vibration, but it doesn't do it just revving the engine at a standstill..any ideas guys?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

I think its where the torque arm is mounted directly to the body. You now only have the poly bushings on the front of the torque arm isolating noise/vibration/harshness from getting to you. Before, all NVH had to go through the less-rigid stock torque arm, the front soft rubber T/A bushing, and rubber trans and engine mounts before any NVH could pass through. I would say the noise was always present, its just being amplified due to the mounting configuration of your torque arm, much like you notice more vibration with poly motor mounts. I have the same noises youre talking about with my HPM T/A as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a sphoon with the same concept

These guys don't tell you you need a solid or real stiff poly trans mount to stabilize the end of the trans housing.

without it the tale shaft will sway back and forth.

Call up the manufacturers tech line and ask about it.

when I switched back to the stock the problem went away and the trans shifted much smoother. Too bad I couldn't get my $$ back.

Did you dial in your pinion angle? if your car is lowered the car the lower control arm axle brackets really made the most difference for me.

good luck
Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

so both you guys experienced the same noise i'm talking about after putting on an aftermarket torque arm? Dmiz0420, I didn't understand the last part of your response. Did LCA axle brackets help with the noise? my car is not lowered.. did you try putting on a solid or stiff poly trans mount with any success? if so, did it help the noise? thanks again..
Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure your exhaust isn't touching it anywhere ( including under load). I cut some 3/8 pieces of rubber and placed it between the body and the cross brace. Make sure your u-joint isn't trashed from the pinion angle being that far off. It can happen pretty fast.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Make sure your exhaust isn't touching it anywhere ( including under load). I cut some 3/8 pieces of rubber and placed it between the body and the cross brace. Make sure your u-joint isn't trashed from the pinion angle being that far off. It can happen pretty fast.
Where did you get the rubber from? You just put 3/8" strips of rubber between the floorpan and crossbrace? Were the bolts still long enough to hold everything in place with the rubber in there? Thanks for your help!