Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

exo-skel install nighmare any help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exo-skel install nighmare any help...

Ok so i have the clutch on and the flywheel no oil leaks. I put the trans on and it would not slid on all the way (messed with it for 45 min) pulled it back off and checked all the allignments and evrything was good. It did almost look like the t/O bearing was stopping us from getting it on all the way. So did a bit of reading and i had a centerforce in it before that was totally shot, figured the slave might be a little over extended and filled with too much fluid. So we open the bleeder all the way push it back up still would not go on "ALL" the way but we could start the bolts and we got them all tight and put it on. Now the quick connect line will not go on at all. I did the work at a GM parts guy house he checked the teeth inside the slave side and tried a different O-ring tried with the bleeder open and closed and even blead the system out and still no go! I had a new slave / Throwout installed down in WV when i lived down there aned had no tools or garage so not sure what is in it as far as that goes.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Is all of it OEM?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

the trans has been rebuilt the master cyclinder is mcleod the T/O amd slave are LS1 or LS6 then i have the cast iron ZL 402 with the exo-skel clutch/flywheel
Old 07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmm...

I have the Exo Skel on all factory hydraulics... Master, slave, T/O and pilot bearing, etc... And it was installed on a SixSpeedsinc stage 4 with a Viper output shaft and a factory input shaft in just a few hours here locally at Masport.

OEM T/O bearing should not be getting in the way. That's weird.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

took it all apart again and it looks as if it was the stock LS1 T/O and slave that was put in it at the dealership i think im going to try a LS6 slave T/O combo it comes with the line right from GM : ) anyone know the height of the combo together ?? i have the unit sitting in the back of my car it looks as if its crushed together or the slave failed . Another thing someone said in a different post is that the early cast iron blocks were machined different and the crank stuck out farther so thats in the back of my mind also as a possiable problem
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

call TSP or Scoggin Dickey. Sounds like you have the wrong throw out bearing. Vette T/O bearings don't allow the input shaft to slide all the way in. The Fbody LS1 unit will.