Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with sticky clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with sticky clutch.

Ok, i have read, re-read and memorized the sticky, so don't refer me to it.

The car shifts fine into 2nd, but it is difficult to get into 3rd and 4th when i am racing.

The slave cylinder and master cylinder were replaced when the transmission was rebuilt (6 months ago). I recently did the drill mod, which helped a great deal but did not COMPLETELY FIX the problem.

So what are my options. I heard something about mcleod making new masters that are supposedly suppost to work. And something about larger diameter line going from the master to the slave is supposed to be available.

Seriously guys, I am about "this close" (holds fingers close together) from saying screw it and slapping in a th400.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I have the same issue
Old 07-21-2008, 05:41 PM
11Second Club

The new McLeods are great (in my experience), but that may not be the cause of your issue.

1) What kind of clutch do you have?
2) What kind of master do you have? How old is it?
3) Did you flush the fluid when you slapped all this back together?
4) Are you sure you have a good bleed? Have you tried bleeding it since putting everything back together?
5) Have you wrapped the line with anything to block heat? Did you look at where the line is run to see that it's away from the exhaust?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gauge
The new McLeods are great (in my experience), but that may not be the cause of your issue.

1) What kind of clutch do you have?
2) What kind of master do you have? How old is it?
3) Did you flush the fluid when you slapped all this back together?
4) Are you sure you have a good bleed? Have you tried bleeding it since putting everything back together?
5) Have you wrapped the line with anything to block heat? Did you look at where the line is run to see that it's away from the exhaust?
1) I have an ls7 clutch
2) I have a brand new GM master (01+). Has 2500 miles on it
3) I did not flush all the fluid because i couldn't get ot the bleeder valve.
4) I have a good bleed, used mityvac. I bled it once, just after i put it back together.
5) I have not wrapped the line with heat reflective tape. I did zip tie the line as far away from the headers as possible.

Here are the next steps.

1) Rebleed the system

See if clutch works.

2) I WILL drill a hole in the floor to access the bleader valve. Then i will flush the system.

Will try and see if it works

3) I will wrap the line with heat reflective tape

See if it works

4) I will buy the new mcleod.

See if it works

If NO luck...

5) Will buy a th400 and say good bye to rowing gears.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you read the sticky thread at the top of the section?
A stocker made adjustable is another option for you as well. Look at that thread in the stickies.
It will help high RPM shifting getting the freeplay out of the pedal w/ an adjustable master. The McLeod might be a bit overkill for you.
Yes you should flush it, & insulate the line still. Then maintain the system w/periodic fluid flushing.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrencher
Did you read the sticky thread at the top of the section?
A stocker made adjustable is another option for you as well. Look at that thread in the stickies.
It will help high RPM shifting getting the freeplay out of the pedal w/ an adjustable master. The McLeod might be a bit overkill for you.
Yes you should flush it, & insulate the line still. Then maintain the system w/periodic fluid flushing.
Thanks. Yea I read the sticky, in fact have been "living it" for the past few days. I will flush the system tomorrow, and insulate the line. If i pull the master again (which i would rather not) the mcleod will be going in.