Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny installation problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny installation problem!

My friend and i are replacing the clutch on his 96 formula. the problem we are having is the tranny gets about 90% in and then there is about a 1/4inch or so left. we have man handled the tranny around and it just wont budge any further in. at first we thought it was the pilot bearing and that wasnt it(as far as we could tell). another thought we had was the dowl pins on the tranny are bent? i dont know im running out of ideas. What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy8806
My friend and i are replacing the clutch on his 96 formula. the problem we are having is the tranny gets about 90% in and then there is about a 1/4inch or so left. we have man handled the tranny around and it just wont budge any further in. at first we thought it was the pilot bearing and that wasnt it(as far as we could tell). another thought we had was the dowl pins on the tranny are bent? i dont know im running out of ideas. What do you guys think?

You're in luck, since it's an LT1 version of the T56. Here's the trick:

NOTE: never, ever try this on an LS1 T56. Won't work. The LT1 clutch is a pull-type, unlike the LS1 version.

If you're 100% sure that the clutch is properly aligned w/ the pilot bearing, just slide the trans on as far as you can get it. You're down to the last 1/4" so you're in great shape.

You then click the fork back into the detent, so it will pivot properly. Ensure the fork is in place on the pressure plate throwout bearing.

Install the slave cyl, ensuring the pushrod is seated in the fork's cup.

Have a friend **GENTLY** depress the clutch pedal, while you're under the car with a few trans bolts ready to install. The clutch hydraulics will pull the trans right into place.

It's sometimes possible to do this solo without a helper, but I don't prefer that route.