Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me figure it out

I was sitting at a stop light yesterday with my foot on the clutch I was in first gear. Out of no were I feel and hear a clunk like it pulled the slack out the drive train. Then the clutch pedal felt different and the car wanted to pull just a little. I think I lost some hydraulics some were. I don't know if my master cylinder went out or if I need to bleed the clutch. I have recently preformed the ranger method. I drained the master reservoir and refilled and pumped the clutch ect. My fluid was horrible I have never changed it I need to do this a long time ago. I am not sure what happened I don't know if I may have caused the problem by doing the ranger thing or allowed an air bubble in the system. I'm going to try and bleed the clutch but I've heard it is not an easy task. My friend told me to drill a hole in the floor by the gas pedal. He is going to let me use his car to measure the placement of the hole. Does anyone have any advice? Do you think if I bleed it might help? Do you think the master or slave went out? I just can't imagine the clutch is toast being that when it happened I was just sitting at idle. As of now I can't put the car in reverse and it is VERY hard to get it in any gear. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is that I never change the fluid unless it has been done on a regular basis on higher milage cars. I have blown a few tranny's and it always happens not long after a full fluid change. If its a new car and the trans has always had regular maintenance done then they seem to have 0 problems but an older trans that was never changed then has a full trans flush etc. Seems to just kill the trans IMO.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone have any ideas? I won't be working on the car until next weekend and I'm hoping to get a good plan of action.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with you that it's likely a hydraulics issue. Start with a bleed and see if that takes care of it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Well I was able to bleed the clutch today and it didn't help. When I try to put it in gear it is very hard and when I put pressure on the stick it starts to make this weird noise. I can get it in gear but it continues to make that sound. One time I kept it in gear for about 10 seconds and it mad a big clunk just like when all this started. The sound all most sounds like a bad bearing spinning. I'm really at a loss and am not sure what is wrong or what to do PLEASE any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Ttt Please Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!