Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help A Noob-Stripped Threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help A Noob-Stripped Threads

I was installing my new Textralia pressure plate and I cross threaded two bolts. They're not that bad, but I took it down anyway. One bolt hole is screwed up at the beginning and the second is in the middle of the hole. The bolts wont thread into any hole on my flywheel so they are shot. What should I do about the two bolt holes on my flywheel? I'm so mad, I really want to get two new bolts and just torque them in anyway.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

drill all the holes out, re-tap all the holes with new bigger thread size, get all new bolts for the new thread size
Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

from the sounds of it you just bunged the bolts for the most part. IMO first try and retap the holes and get new bolts. if it feels really loose then go bigger but you prob wont have to.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 AM
wrencher

If it is just the top of the threads you could prolly get away with re-tapping it.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Launching!

that would probably be less time consuming, just try to re-tap, and you will know by the feel of it if you should go bigger...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. How do I know what size tap to use? I've never re-tapped anything. It's a Textralia X-grip, and the bolts came with it. The bolts look the same as the ones that came off of my Spec pressure plate, but the thread count looks different. I put up some pics of one of the bolts. I couldnt get a good enough pic of the bolt hole on my flywheel. Please click on the pics if you want to see a larger view. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Help A Noob-Stripped Threads-29.jpg   Help A Noob-Stripped Threads-30.jpg   Help A Noob-Stripped Threads-31.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help A Noob-Stripped Threads