Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

problem with sticking clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with sticking clutch

I've read through all of the posts I could find in the search about this, and though my problem is similar, there are a few differences from what is typically described. Sorry about the post being so long, want to give a good explanation of what I'm seeing.

So, I'll start with what is happening on my 01 z28

I noticed this for the first time today, after a 30 minute 70ish mph leisurely highway drive to work I exit and after 2 stoplights I noticed my pedal feel was a bit soft. At the 3rd light my clutch pedal sank like a rock. Luckily I was about 300 yards from the parking lot and got in with little troubles but a bit of cussing. On the way home, pedal feel seemed soft but not too bad until I got near the house. Few stoplights later and it was a bear to get it in gear. a little pumping helped and off I went.

So I get home, and check the fluid. Its topped off, no signs of leaks. 1 checkbox down. The fluid is pretty bad off however, its pretty black. 100K miles before changing...yeah right. Thats getting flushed tomorrow. As a short term fix I did the turkey baster thing and got out as much of the dirty stuff as possible, replaced what was in the reservoir, pumped the pedal liberally and repeated until the fluid was mostly clear. Not a good fix, but a start. I even went on a few trips around the neighborhood and repeated after I got home. Very slightly better, but still not right by a long shot.

So far it sounds like the typical stuck pedal syndrome, I'll be flushing/bleeding it tomorrow. But here's whats different that I havent noticed anybody say.

When the engine is off, pedal is usually OK. When idle and out of gear, same thing its ok. If I put slight pressure on the pedal it has good resistance.

However, when driving, especially low rpm in 5th or 6th gear, if I apply very slight pressure the pedal gets soft fast and sinks right to the floor, but doesnt disengage. When that happens, its a bugger to get the feel back. Normally have to pump it good a few times after wedging my toes under the pedal and pulling it back up a few times. it does not seem to do this at idle or when parked, only at low rpm in a higher gear.

I'm fearing that the cylinder in the slave is binding when it gets hot, which is the worst possible outcome as its the part I dont have the tools or expertise to fix myself. Would air in the system or cruddy fluid cause this particular situation or am I more than likely looking at a new slave?