Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bleeding question: clutch supposed to raise itself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bleeding question: clutch supposed to raise itself?

Just wondering, after bleeding my hydraulics the first time the bleeder gets closed the clutch will not reposition itself to the up position(after I let my foot off when the guy underneath closes the bleeder valve). We have to manually lift the clutch up then it stays fine. We have tried bleeding it a lot of times to no avail.

Also, my gears grind if I quickly shift into any gear(idle, going fast, going slow, anytime) If I shift slowly it hits a little barrier before any gear then it slides into it. If I shift quickly and "slice" through that slight barrier you hear an audible grind/clanking sound, but the gear goes in fine(well, if you can call that fine). I have tried those clutch slipping tests and they have never found anything yet.

Car is '99 TA, stock, 45k miles.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When bleeding you DO have to pull up the clutch pedal in some cases. In most cases you only need to pull it once for it to build pressure and after that it will reposition itself. Asfar as your grinding it sounds more like a hydrolic issues. You might want to do the "drill mod" to the master before you think of replacing it. May also be the slave going out.

IF the drill mod doesnt work, and you replace the hydrolics. You might want to look into rebuilding the tranny to make sure syncros are in good condition.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have to pull the pedal up all the way manually. This can be a long process. I was getting so pissed when doing mine I was ready to pay someone else to do it. However, it just takes time. Make sure the *** of your car is up high while bleeding it. It's important to get the slave higher than the master while bleeding the master. It's the only way to get any little air bubbles to move.

Quick Reply: bleeding question: clutch supposed to raise itself?