Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any vendors want to make a lot of coin? Make an upgraded disk for the LS7 clutch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Any vendors want to make a lot of coin? Make an upgraded disk for the LS7 clutch!!!

Not that in my case I need it at all mines working perfectly after two HARD seasons of abuse. I launch at 5500 ( I've gone as high as 7k though ) and havent had any issues but I'm not that fast and not insane on hp levels... yet. I will gladly run another LS7 clutch as is but I know with my old LT1 pull type clutch just about every aftermarket unit used a version of the LT4 pressure plate including the Mcleod st twin which seemed to prove the baddest clutch for the old t56's. So that got me to thinking the LS7 holds great, drives like stock, is VERY cost effective and the only issue it seems to have is the disk itself with heat breakdown generated from high RPM dumps on sticky tires at the track. So if an aftermarket vendor were to make a disk only upgrade for one of these set ups that could take 6-700 rwhp and hold high RPM dumps on slicks I'd have to think they would sell a TON of them. Something like the OZ700 disk or perhaps the Spec 3i etc. I know the LS7 clutch has literally killed a good chunk of aftermarket clutch sales so if you cant beat em join em right?

Just an idea I wanted to put out there
Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you are looking for is a Bird of Prey clutch LOL. It was based on the LS7 pressure plate and flywheels design, and although it was supposed to be a modified LS7 pressure plate I've heard it was the stock LS7 unit.

The BOP guys were local to us, but I don't have any experience with them. The last I heard, one of our competitors had a couple at his shop that he wanted to get rid of. I don't think they are available anymore, and from what I've heard it just wasn't working out in some of the higher hp cars that were running them.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmmm well I searched it out and didnt find anything but then again i had no idea there was this bird of prey name to look for. I cant see how a decent disk wont solve the heat issue back in the good old... days... we used to mix and match disks and plates all the time to find what suited our needs best for the old muncies and t-10's and whatnot. Sounds like bird of prey was bird of turd LOL lets hope someone makes a better one

BTW thanks for the post its good to know there are guys trying these kinds of things

Last edited by cam; 09-10-2008 at 06:05 PM. Reason: thanks!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a local M122 Maggie'd GTO running the BOP clutch with LS7 pp just fine.