Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill mod problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drill mod problems

I did the drill mod today. First problem I had was bleeding the clutch, got that figured out, had to take the MC back out and bench bleed it again.

Now, I have a full pedal, but it's still a little softer than it was before I did the mod. I have bled the ********** for 45 min, and probably flushed 2 pinks of DOT3 through the system trying to get the air out. When I drive the car hard I'm still having the issue of it hanging up in 3rd gear, and the clutch pedal will only return 1/2 way until I pull it back out, then it acts normal again. Pretty much doing the exact same thing it did before the mod. The main difference I've noticed is, I was having trouble shifting into both 2nd and 3rd at WOT, now I'm not having any issues with 2nd, just 3rd.

Do you guys think I still have air in the system, or do you think my MC is shot? Or could it also be something in the trans it's self? Right now I still think it's hyrdolic related cause of the clutch pedal not returning, but I don't know for sure. It's not grinding going into 3rd at all, it's just bouncing off it like the slave isn't fully releasing.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. My cousin and I tried to get all the air out of the system for over an hour one time...pumping, bleeding, bleeding and pumping with no success. We just said screw it, got a mity-vac and it's been running great ever since.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could cut a small hole in your tunnel and modify your bleeder so that you will never have problems bleeding again. If interested do a search for a thread I started in this forum.
Originally Posted by slw ls1
I did the drill mod today. First problem I had was bleeding the clutch, got that figured out, had to take the MC back out and bench bleed it again.

Now, I have a full pedal, but it's still a little softer than it was before I did the mod. I have bled the ********** for 45 min, and probably flushed 2 pinks of DOT3 through the system trying to get the air out. When I drive the car hard I'm still having the issue of it hanging up in 3rd gear, and the clutch pedal will only return 1/2 way until I pull it back out, then it acts normal again. Pretty much doing the exact same thing it did before the mod. The main difference I've noticed is, I was having trouble shifting into both 2nd and 3rd at WOT, now I'm not having any issues with 2nd, just 3rd.

Do you guys think I still have air in the system, or do you think my MC is shot? Or could it also be something in the trans it's self? Right now I still think it's hyrdolic related cause of the clutch pedal not returning, but I don't know for sure. It's not grinding going into 3rd at all, it's just bouncing off it like the slave isn't fully releasing.