Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 1st gear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 1st gear question

im looking at buying a M6 car and the only issue with the transmission is 1st gear makes a grinding/metal on metal noise.. (not a typical missed gear grinding noise or anything) when you ease off the clutch with little to no gas.. if you give it some gas.. its sounds worse.. if you roll off the clutch and kinda feel it out.. you can make it almost not even do it.. and if you launch the car hard. you cant even fell it happen.. it has no issues going into first gear.. or reverse or anything else.. 1st to 2nd and everything else feels totally normal and very tight. also doesnt happen if you engage 1st while already rolling.. the guy is saying he had it looked at by a trans shop and it needs a new throw bearing.. does that sound right? or is this trans borked?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody has any idea? i ended up just buying the car regardless if the trans issues, its about to be put in the garage and its going to roll out next spring in the low 11's if i get my way. would a video with sound help someone diagnose it? i've pretty much mastered driving it without it making noise now.. what it sounds like if you give it 30-40% throttle and leave from a stop in first is a grinding noise.. but not gear grinding.. more like a really worn and binding U-joint noise.. but the shaft joints and output all feel super tight and look great. could it be the input shaft rubbing on the pilot bearing? and can i assume that that bearing is cooked? or could it be the throw bearing like i was told? i did also notice that the trans is really mushy feeling on the shifter.. when you rot on it you can feel the trans lift(or possibly drop) through the shifter.. i think the trans mount is shot... coud even just something as small as that be the cause of my issues?