Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans Notchy When Driving Only?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Notchy When Driving Only?

What could be causing my transmission to be notchy only when the car is moving? It slides in and out of gears fine when Im sitting still, and it doesnt move when I rev the engine to 5k rpms with it in gear and clutch peddle depressed. So I believe the clutch is fully disengaging. Everything feels and sounds good except for a little notchiness mainly in third and fifth.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I tried shifting with my car off today and it is notchy then too. It's not consistently notchy either. Could this possibly be related to the pennzoil synchromesh I put in? Or could I have put my shifter back together wrong? My T56 has 24k track/hard street miles on it and I figured that my 10 bolt would break first. Plus, I installed a new clutch and slave, so I'm wondering if somehow something is off, even with all the dowel pins and straight foward install procedure. The only thing that I did wrong was using the trans bolts to pull the trans in the last 1/4 inch, but I felt no resistance what so ever, so I was comfortable with it. Plus, I've done it before, the only difference this time was the clutch, FW, and I tried pennzoil synchromesh instead of dexron lll. The only suggestions that I got were to put dexron lll back in.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try swapping the fluid first since that's cheap and easy. When I used synchro mess I had to double clutch it while the tranny was cold to keep it from grinding. Either that or your synchro's are getting worn out
Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by transAm-98
Try swapping the fluid first since that's cheap and easy. When I used synchro mess I had to double clutch it while the tranny was cold to keep it from grinding. Either that or your synchro's are getting worn out
I'd go with the synchros are worn, I have the same problem. Its getting real notchy these days and its horrible with regular atf. Just did a new slave(was kinda hoping it was a crappy slave causing some of the notchyness) and clutch and changed the fluid from pennzoil sycromesh to regular atf. After only 4 days of atf I had to switch back it was so horrible.