Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?

Heard there is work going on there. Anyone know what going on.

Finally putting the shops the town wants or going to reopen the old track.

The later would be great
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

It was sold for commercial use a long time ago. Who ever said the track may open doesn't have a clue.
The rumor was the owner started those rumors to get some attention.
It seems to work, because it went from he couldn't sell it. To being sold a few weeks later.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

US 30 dragstrip fall 2004
Attached Thumbnails Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-srt4.jpg   Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-srt41.jpg   Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-srt42.jpg   Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-srt43.jpg   Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-srt44.jpg  

Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Id love if they re opened but, its not gonna happen. I grew up watching/ helping my dad and his friends race there. I have tons of pictures of myself at about 6 years old swapping street tires to slicks on my dads 64 Mustang fastback at the track. Was there when the Jet truck blew down the fence and was amazed.

P.S. Pops always told me dont call him till I can break 12.20`s (what his 289 was running) . Well he was pissed when I sent him a pic of the wheels up and a 11.76 timeslip.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i remember runnin low 11.??s there back in the day in my 69 chevelle.........wish i still had that car & it was the mid 70s again.....but that will never happen.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Howdy all;

My name is Mark McKee ~ My dad retired USAF in 1971 and we moved back to Kokomo, In.,
I was 10 years old when we moved back.
After that we wasn’t back in Indiana a month or two and dad heard the radio advertisement “Sunday, Sunday, Sunday at whalen US 30 Drag strip, we went up there to see what it was all about – after that it became a main stay of me and my father’s Sundays. We drove the hour and a half 90% of all Sundays between summer of 71 through the fall of 77. This also included the Saturday night and think sometimes Wednesday or Thursday night races too.
We went to Indianapolis one time but it didn’t come close to the feel of US 30

I Always liked the cars from King’s speed shop with the orange and white paint jobs, and who could forget “NO BIG THING” Doing wheelies in first, second, and third gear. Big Daddy, Mongoose and Snake, Blue Max, the wheelie standers, I even seen a rocket powered go-cart up there one time. One time we were parked down at the end of the track and Raymond Beatles Blue Max blew the motor and the car came to rest at the finish line and burnt right in front of us.

One night they had a bright yellow full size Kentworth semi with three jet engines hanging out the back of it, after he got done warming up his engines the tree(next to the fence) back behind him was all wilted, he went down the quarter at 188 mph, that was so cool.

Does anyone remember all the people in the bleacher across from the tower there was 30 to 40 men that had a fist full of money and all of the would bet each other on every race, I got some good laughs out of that crowd.

One of my most memorial moments there was the summer in 76 when they had a night race and about half way down the track was a van with seven to eight people in it , after a while a couple came from the van and made their way to the starting line NAKED (STREAKING). The guy was on the tower side and a Girl was on the Bleachers side the tower actually ran the tree for them to streak down the track. The streakers got out to about 40 foot from the start line and the guy stubbed his toe and feel down and went rolling down the track. He got up and shook himself off him and the girl went running back
to the van and jumped inside. The cops were in no hurry to catch them they took their time and just walked over to the van.
I don’t think they did anything to the couple though.

I really loved that place it was a big part of my childhood, I do go to the nationals at Indy every year but I would glad not evergo to another nationals if US 30 was still running.

It tore up my heart to see the pictures of the way the track looks now ~ I hate that!!!

Mark McKee
Attached Thumbnails Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?-nobigthing.jpg  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was only 5 years old in 1963 and used to go ther with my older brother ( 25 ) to race his 61 Catalina.It ran 12.80 then.By the mid 60s he had a 62 Chevy 2 no roof roadster,with a 426 Chrysler Hemi on Nitro.Man was that car fast high 9s low 10s.In 1970 when Pro Stock first started my 2 brothers both had Hemi Dusters.They used to have 16 Funny cars,16 Dragsters, and sometimes 32 Pro Stocks on Saturday night.I started racing as soon as i had a car,in 75.By 76 i had a Kaw 900 that was stock that ran 11.97. We raced there untill it closed in 82 or 83. It was not the greatest trck ,but hell we did not care.I think those of us that grew up there all mis the place for sure.No big thing was neat,BUT, we used to WHACK him with the Chevy 2 all the time.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

US30 closed in the early 80's. the sad part is I heard the bleachers at US41 came from US30. I don't think there has been a single board replaced lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
US30 closed in the early 80's. the sad part is I heard the bleachers at US41 came from US30. I don't think there has been a single board replaced lol.
41 is a turning into a quality SHITHOLE. Put some money into your establishment and it will draw more people....Last 2 times there the pissers were over flowing and you had to walk thru pissy water to the urinals. How about the quality concession stand??? Oh and best yet, the tower that reeks of animal **** could use some tlc.

It takes money to make money. Sorry for the rant lol. I love my shithole track
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ski23
41 is a turning into a quality SHITHOLE. Put some money into your establishment and it will draw more people....Last 2 times there the pissers were over flowing and you had to walk thru pissy water to the urinals. How about the quality concession stand??? Oh and best yet, the tower that reeks of animal **** could use some tlc.

lol... Couldnt agree with you more! Its seriously getting stupid there. Unsanitary conditions, and btw Bret isnt kidding about the original us 30 floor boards in the stands. haha You cant walk on half of them! But It really would be cool to see Rt 30 open up again, I remember My grandpa talking about stories when he was younger going there with his cars. Lots of memories, Im sure!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ski23

Yeah I love that shithole too...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

It could use some work but it,s close and they don,t hassle you too much. I absolutely would,nt $hit there

Quick Reply: Hobart In. US 30 Dragstrip?