Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Insurance Crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iowa Insurance Crap!!!

I may just be venting some frustration here but I think this is a little crazy. Saturday night I was driving my junker work car due to the severe weather we were enduring this past weekend. I was leaving the edge of town and came up on a unmarked state patrol car doing about 5 or so over the limit. He he pulls over and waits for me to go by so he can stop me. He warns me on the speed and asked for an insurance card to which I could only find the old one which was two months outdated. I told him it's still the same insurance company and everything that I've had for the last 6 years. He gives me a ticket anyways and tells me to just get the new card, go to the courthouse, show them the new ones, and everything will be dropped.

Now I've been through this all before. I usually only drive the car a mile to work and don't really think about having all the updated paperwork with me.

So I go to the court house and show them my new card that I just picked up from the insurance company. They also wanted a written statement from them saying I already had the insurance on the car, no problem.

She copies the card and tells me I still owe $50 for court costs??????? This is what I don't understand. Before I've never had to pay, What gives now??? Has anybody else delt with this or is Cass county taking people for a ride.......AGAIN????? I wasn't happy but I paid it anyways. Let me know your input.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Iowa Insurance Crap!!!

Well...................I disagree. Whether you drive an old beater or a new Yukon, the law is that you have proof of insurance with you ! ! ! !

I have been hit twice now by people driving "old beaters" that have no insurance so.....................my insurance has had to pay to have my vehicle repaired and I get stuck with the deductible.

After getting the ticket and having to pay the court costs, hopefully you will remember to have a current insurance card with you now. Sounds like you got off easy the time before so maybe this time you will learn from your mistake.

Sorry if it sounds like I am coming down hard on you but I have been burnt before.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you are a slow learner How hard is it to carry your
info with you. At least that's what I tell my teenage son!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Yes after having to pay this fine I will watch a lot more carefully. I never claimed to be smart or a quick learner. Progressive sends me out new cards every 6 months. I apparently missed them somewhere because all my cards were old. I had the old one that showed all the same info that the new one did. What about the people that start a new insurance policy just to cancel the first month but still have the cards that says it's good for the next five?? So they have valid cards to show but actually no insurance to back it up. The only thing I'm not agreeing on is the court cost. Has anyone else experienced this??

Hotrod, that's exactly what my father said to me.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fourty6
Yes after having to pay this fine I will watch a lot more carefully. I never claimed to be smart or a quick learner. Progressive sends me out new cards every 6 months. I apparently missed them somewhere because all my cards were old. I had the old one that showed all the same info that the new one did. What about the people that start a new insurance policy just to cancel the first month but still have the cards that says it's good for the next five?? So they have valid cards to show but actually no insurance to back it up. The only thing I'm not agreeing on is the court cost. Has anyone else experienced this??

Hotrod, that's exactly what my father said to me.

We should all keep our cards with us, but I know sometimes **** happens, or before you know it the card is a few weeks outdated and your good one is in your house. I am surprised you even got pulled over for 5 over, first off... and assuming you are older and in a nicer car I figured he would have let you go. After all that, I still can't believe it was a $50 court cost, that is a bit ridiculous, but maybe a great reminder to keep it in the car updated all the time, but still a little steep to me.

Quick Reply: Iowa Insurance Crap!!!