Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

shops to remove/install carrier bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shops to remove/install carrier bearings

SO I'm swapping rearend gears and decided to tackle it with my friend, when we were pulling the bearings off the carrier one came free fairly easily, the second we weren't able to get the puller to seat correctly and ended up pulling half the bearing off. we can't get the inner shell pulled off. So is there any shops in the quad cities able to remove this and install the new bearings fairly cheaply?

Also need bearing races removed from axle assembly, what's a good tool for this?

On a better note I finally got my camshaft swapped yesterday with the springs, pushrods, timing chain, and oil pump. Started right up with good oil pressure, nice little lobe in the exhaust But I jumped the gun and took it out too soon. It ended up overheating in 10 minutes lol. Got her fixed up though and she runs great now! I should have done it sooner, I am planning to get it dynoed here once I get the rearend together.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can take an abrasive cutoff wheel and cut a slot into the inner race. Do it on an angle so as to not cut into the carrier itself. Now put a chisel into the slot you cut and hit it with a hammer, the race will break and slide off.

If that's not something you want to do yourself I'm sure almost any shop could accomplish it for you.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

check with a local NAPA if you have one.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the replies but I got it off today. I guess I was just pissed and had to calm down a bit. I used a 2 jaw puller to get it started then was able to fit the bearing puller under it for the rest of the way. but now I have the new gears on but I can't even see the gear patten except for a little bit on the outer part of the ring. Guess I gotta pull it all out again tomorrow and put some more shims on the pinion. then get my backlash set up AGAIN. damn this thing sucks lol. debating putting my old gears in and taking it to a shop later down the road.