Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

transfer from marines to air force.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbailey
The boo hoo part was me being sarcastic. And I dont wanna get into an online fight here, but words like hate, and any other cuss word really have lost their meaning to me its just the way I talk.
Not trying to pick a fight on my end. I'm with the rest of the people in the service in that I enjoy a good trash talking about other branches from time to time. But in the end, I respect everyone in every branch. I worked with them all when I was in the Marine Corps. Good times, man.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

I'm pretty sure living at a non AF location, you do get some special Per Diem. W/ the exceptions of deployments of course.

And I can guarantee you that you weren't the only one's on base. You don't think the services people were there for chow. You don't think the CP people were there, because I can assure you they were. How bout the snow removal CE guys? Etc... There are some crappy parts of the AF just like every other branch, but we have it a lot easier than all of the other branches...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
I'm pretty sure living at a non AF location, you do get some special Per Diem. W/ the exceptions of deployments of course.

And I can guarantee you that you weren't the only one's on base. You don't think the services people were there for chow. You don't think the CP people were there, because I can assure you they were. How bout the snow removal CE guys? Etc... There are some crappy parts of the AF just like every other branch, but we have it a lot easier than all of the other branches...
I did notice that the Airfoce facilities were a lot nicer than ours. At one of their chow halls, someone came and picked up our trays. I didn't know what the hell was going on. It was nice though. If I would have made the Military my career, then I may have tried to get a lat move over to the AF.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Nope CE didnt start plowing the line so I could actually drive to my hangar till a day after it iced 2 inches under 6 inches of snow in an area that doesnt see much snow. CP or MOC was no where to be found too.

For some reason my shop, sf and yes, services for a limited chow time were "mission essential" at that time. When the Thursday before this crap happened the base commander told everyone to not come in till Tuesday. Somehow, we got skipped over.

Im essentially a painter, but I work in a friggen bat cave, no windows, blue lights, constant music etc...

Im sure someone some where has it worse, but my argument wasnt towards having it worse, I just dont want him to think that he'll see his family more when the possibility to have 12 hours off every other 12 hours for 2 years is always possible. It took a toll on my marriage, especially since my wife is Navy.

Last edited by cbailey; 02-18-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I dont see where you guys are getting this special pay for not being in a regular AF place. I was at NAS Pensacola, the heart of Navy and MC aviation for 6 months and didnt get any incentives, nor did I care to. It was techschool so we were 2-4 to a room with opposite S and T shifts.

Maybe theres some stuff I dont know about.

But yes, I do see myself getting treated better being in the AF than my wife, whos in the Navy and every monday has to be a quarters at 0600 till 0900, and expected to be in at 1430 for swing shift.

Ive laughed in peoples faces when I work 1900-0700 and have less say.... mission refresher at 0800 that lasts till 1300-1400 and they expect me to be in at 1900? yea ****** right. Ill be in 12 hours after my class is over.

That **** dont happen in the AF, 21-101 allows 12 hours uninterrupted rest / 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep since last duty hour.

Deployed world is different, first week or so in country I basically got sleep when I could on top of a jet in our clam shell.20 hour shifts werent too uncommon.( With AC btw, so suck it!)
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, an AFI Reference ... AF isn't necessarily over manned, it's that several career fields are over manned. There are some that are in need of people and it take some hunting to find out what those jobs are
Old 02-18-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see where you guys are getting this special pay for not being in a regular AF place. I was at NAS Pensacola, the heart of Navy and MC aviation for 6 months and didnt get any incentives, nor did I care to. It was techschool so we were 2-4 to a room with opposite S and T shifts.

Maybe theres some stuff I dont know about.

But yes, I do see myself getting treated better being in the AF than my wife, whos in the Navy and every monday has to be a quarters at 0600 till 0900, and expected to be in at 1430 for swing shift.

Ive laughed in peoples faces when I work 1900-0700 and have less say.... mission refresher at 0800 that lasts till 1300-1400 and they expect me to be in at 1900? yea ****** right. Ill be in 12 hours after my class is over.

That **** dont happen in the AF, 21-101 allows 12 hours uninterrupted rest / 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep since last duty hour.

Deployed world is different, first week or so in country I basically got sleep when I could on top of a jet in our clam shell.20 hour shifts werent too uncommon.( With AC btw, so suck it!)
Such anger. And I thought AF people were kind hearted.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinR
Such anger. And I thought AF people were kind hearted.
i think he's security forces which might explain that

Last edited by hawk584; 02-18-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawk584
i think he's security forces which might explain that
Ahhh...Yes, they explains a lot.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

either way.. jsteele90 , it's like like i've been told time and time again.. branch, job, location... " it is what ever you make of it "
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

jesus did i ruffle some1s feathers. Im saying that with what ive been told by friends in the AF. Sry maybe they were lying to me to make it sound like had it better off?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slowv696
jesus did i ruffle some1s feathers. Im saying that with what ive been told by friends in the AF. Sry maybe they were lying to me to make it sound like had it better off?
Well, there are some people that when they come home on leave, they will tell their friends and families a bunch of bull ****. For example, some will say that they are a sniper when really they are an admin pogue. Some will say that they are "special forces" when they are really a cook. Some will even wear ribbions on their uniforms that they are not supposed to be wearing. Yeah, it happens. So yeah, your friends could be feeding you a bunch of trash.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

lol i mean it wouldnt b the first time a person would lie about what they do in the service or what theyre pay rate was. But im just sayin this is what ive heard some a range of differnt people.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

This pathetic bullshit everyone in the military seems to yap about his or her branch is the best. Opinions are like ******** everyone has one. I get so tired of seeing these dumbass threads
Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
This pathetic bullshit everyone in the military seems to yap about his or her branch is the best. Opinions are like ******** everyone has one. I get so tired of seeing these dumbass threads
Dumbass threads?? Well, I can respect your OPINION, but the OP is asking a legit question. If you are tired of seeing this kind of thread, then after you read this one, don't come back in. There you go, problem solved, turd.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawk584
" it is what ever you make of it "
Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
^shorter easier deployments,nicer bases overseas and in conus, more time with family, better equipment,etc,etc
I think you don't need to cross over if you consider the AF "a step down". if you don't like the stuff listed above you better reconsider. Join the Army or stay in Marines. And if you still want in good luck. You most likely are gonna have to take whatever job they give you, if you do manage to get in which will be very hard.

The economy has taken its toll and like said early in the thread we are overmanned in a lot of careerfields. But there is always the undermanned ones. A good friend of mine is a recruiter. He has turned down a lot of people who thought it was cake getting in after they couldn't find a job or got laid off at their civilian job. A lot of civilians have been getting turned down for stuff you wouldn't think DQ you. Air Force is very keen on selection good luck. I believe blue to green is still going on, they are trying to get people to cross out of AF and go Army.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Nope CE didnt start plowing the line so I could actually drive to my hangar till a day after it iced 2 inches under 6 inches of snow in an area that doesnt see much snow. CP or MOC was no where to be found too.
What base is this at? I do not know of an AD base that isn't manned by CP 24hrs a day... And the heavy equipment shop is almost manned 24hrs a day during the winter season just for that reason.

Im essentially a painter, but I work in a friggen bat cave, no windows, blue lights, constant music etc....
Welcome to my world. There might be 3 locations in the AF that has windows in my career field. I sit and listen to machines running for 12hrs a day. IG actually wrote it up as being a health hazard for fear of causing hearing problems later in life.

Im sure someone some where has it worse, but my argument wasnt towards having it worse, I just dont want him to think that he'll see his family more when the possibility to have 12 hours off every other 12 hours for 2 years is always possible. It took a toll on my marriage, especially since my wife is Navy.
Sure do... I absolutely loathe my job at Minot being a Controller. Try being a Cop out there guarding an acft during a acft generation in the middle of winter when it gets to -30 frequently. There are definitely crappy jobs in the AF, but w/out a doubt, it is the plushiest of all the services by far. I got no problem admitting that. Thats why I joined the AF... I don't like being uncomfortable...

To the OP, if you can get in, I highly recommend doing so... You'll probably have a very fulfiling career after seeing the different sides. And thats not to say the Marines aren't a rewarding service. But if you want to get out, I'd bet you'll enjoy the AF.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the AF. I'm in CE. we work hard and play harder... Not saying the other AFSCs don't, just sayin'..

To contribute something in this thread, I worked with a prior marine went to army then to AF and he's PCSing to my base after his tour in Korea. I can't remember how many times he told me he's enjoying military now than he was in the prior service. BTW, he was infantry on both Marines and Army.

GL to you Marine.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Bene, where are you stationed? My buddy just rolled into Lakenheath last week. Didn't take the TBSS w/ him though...

Quick Reply: transfer from marines to air force.