Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking of going Coast Guard, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going Coast Guard, any advice?

Me and my younger brother have been thinking of going coast guard for some time now. We have talked to a few people who were in it some 15-20 years ago which really wasnt to informative. Just curious to see if there are any coasties on here who can offer some advice on how to go about the recruiting process.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Hey guys,

Best thing to do is go talk to a recruiter, or go online and look at all the different jobs you can do. See what jobs you guys would be interested in.

Enlisted Jobs:
http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-you...s-descriptions

How old are you guys? Do you have a college degree already? If so, look at the Officer programs if that is something you want to do also.

AET1 Dave Fanelli
Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Launching!

BM2 Smith here, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Im actually about to head to work or else id write something more helpful. But im always willing to answer questions if you have them.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

My best advice is good luck. I tried at the beginning of the year, my recruiter took about 1-2 months to even get my stuff done, then I took my asvab and after doing all that he told me there aren't any spots open until possibly October (this was in January). Then when I asked about reserves he said I probably couldn't get in due to a shellfish reaction I had 18 years ago. Maybe it was my recruiter but it was months of my time wasted pursuing it. I wish I would've gotten in though, but there aren't a lot of openings nationwide.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give me a shout if you need anything. ive been in for 4 years and seen a non-operational unit. a school aviation and the boat world. ive seen a little of all not an expert at all but if i cant answer you i can find the answer for ya