Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any one stationed in Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my cam done yestersay. Took about 4 days. Had PM&E do a valve job when the heads were off. Need a ttune real bad no one is available for weeks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzUfv...e_gdata_player
Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice lope there.check with BSM if they can get you a tune and get a full tune later.think they re kind of backed up but worth checking.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Cam sounds good. Good move having the valvejob done while it was down for the swap.

AMSperformance should be heading back to Hawaii soon. Try to talk with Chris Black, he tuned my supercharger at RAD motorsports last November, after my e-mail tuner left me shy of the mark. AMS is big with the EVO and GT-R crowd but they have picked up the LSX market and are a supporting member on the CorvetteForums.

I would discourage any of the e-mail tunes where they want you to make WOT and datalog on any "closed road". Not many places to get it done and the more you play, the higher the chances of running into HPD.

Have to give credit to RAD motorsports on their Dyno. Smoothest on and off for a car that has low clearance. Had no fear that my car was going to rub the ground or the lift. Ramps onto the lift are like 4 ft long. Car was tuned with the hood down as well ensuring a more realistic number as I will not be driving with the hood open.

I am in no way trying to discredit any of the local shops, I know that some of the guys here have used BSM and will continue to do so with great results. I just chose a tuner that travels. Knowing I will not be in Hawaii for the rest of my life, I needed someone I could meet with if I moved back to the mainland or Europe.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the tips Ryan. The thing that suckss, no one can tune me for a while. I want to drive the car. Lol. The guy in texas that I bought the stuff from has installed and tuned many mayhem cams. I'm thinking of getting a mail order tune from him. He just asked me what mods i had and said he has files for the exact cars. So I image the tune would be pretty close. At the end of summer I'm going to do a fast or harrop intake and a little tweaking to the exhaust so maybe book a dyno time then.
I would rather not remove the pcm and send it out. Brian at recart racing could email me the file but I have no clue how to, or what cords I would need to load it into my car.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Teching In

You can buy the HPTuners or EFILive Autotap software and load the tune yourself if your tuner uses those programs. Really easy to do. You could have your tuner send you a video or look it up on YouTube how to load the tune. You could order a spare computer and have your tuner load that one, then swap it out when it shows up on your doorstep.
corvetterecycling.com (another sponsor of CF) has them for $300

I will be putting more on the car when I get back and having Chris retune when he comes back out this fall.

Last edited by RyanO7; 04-30-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: corrected to EFILive
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

tell us how much hp that blown c6 of yours is putting out.just curious das all.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Teching In

E-mail tune and first dyno showed 450 hp, don't remember the torque. A far cry from the normal. Then I saw AMS was working on LS cars and were coming out to Oahu.

Baseline before Chris started was 420 hp; after his tune it is in the 5xx where it should be. Had more in it, but would have taken more time and there were others waiting to get theirs tuned.

That's all you get. I keep telling you it's where it should be, not hiding anything.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Ryan, well, I'm here forever, own a home, wife and kids, great job. So I will probably end up using BSM, however, no one not even BsM is squeezing me in, I know they could have, so I think I'm going to send my pcm to brian in texas, he'll at least get me close with an email tune. I will be adding a harrop or fast intake and maybe some heads. So please keep me informed on when the tuners are coming to hawaii. I would be in that Shiat. Can you post a pic of your vette? I'm sure I must have seen you around before.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanO7
E-mail tune and first dyno showed 450 hp, don't remember the torque. A far cry from the normal. Then I saw AMS was working on LS cars and were coming out to Oahu.

Baseline before Chris started was 420 hp; after his tune it is in the 5xx where it should be. Had more in it, but would have taken more time and there were others waiting to get theirs tuned.

That's all you get. I keep telling you it's where it should be, not hiding anything.

wow what is that 5xx if you say so.better have more in it with a t trim.Ill have mine installed whenever no hurry we dont have a track anyway.no worries Ill have the lg super pro 1 7/8 headers and borla stingers before you come back.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slammedc5
Thanks Ryan, well, I'm here forever, own a home, wife and kids, great job. So I will probably end up using BSM, however, no one not even BsM is squeezing me in, I know they could have, so I think I'm going to send my pcm to brian in texas, he'll at least get me close with an email tune. I will be adding a harrop or fast intake and maybe some heads. So please keep me informed on when the tuners are coming to hawaii. I would be in that Shiat. Can you post a pic of your vette? I'm sure I must have seen you around before.
Congrats at least dont have to ship your car anymore.same here lived here since 1993 and never left.BSM is backed up I think plus they be gone for a week or two starting this week.try stopby at the shop the following weekend.talk to Bode or Jake.shop is busy with customers cars.just trying to help.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 35th SS
wow what is that 5xx if you say so.better have more in it with a t trim.Ill have mine installed whenever no hurry we dont have a track anyway.no worries Ill have the lg super pro 1 7/8 headers and borla stingers before you come back.

527 is the number you've been looking for. A little research and you would have seen what the average was for a stock manifold LS2. Nothing out of the ordinary, should be 550-560 with headers.

I went with the T-trim because it was more efficient and was a $300 upgrade at the time. It will make more power than an S-trim when the boost is turned up because it won't work as hard and the IATs should be lower.

I plan to order jet hot coated headers, and a pulley when I get back. I might do a cam swap, but I'm not sure. I'll also be converting to SD as well when Chris heads back out this fall.

You need to install you headers, you've had them so long I think they might be returning to nature.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slammedc5
Given a choice between a FAST and a Harrop, I would, without a doubt, go with the Harrop ITB. THEY LOOK BAD ***!

Not sure if I have any pics of the car. It's just a black C6 with chrome wheels and black flags. Nothing out of the ordinary. Car has been parked since the middle of Feb. Depending on when you got to the island, you may or may not have seen it.

I'll let you know when the tuner shows up. There is another tuner that shows up every summer, big name on Corvette Forums Ch_ckC0W. I have seen some engine failures that were claimed to be a result of the tune as well as some info from other longtime LS tuners that questioned his way of tuning. As a result, I chose to go with AMS, their cars speak for them.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

ahh gotcha.turn the boost up and youll be in the 600 range.sounds like you need to upgrade to a fast 102 intake setup too.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Teching In

a little vid of the V
http://youtu.be/sbcRFmWzInU
Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Teching In

Sounds good.

What year is the V? Have anything else done? I saw you were wanting to do a cam; anything else?

How was the install on the Kooks? Did you run into any problems with the fit?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Teching In

ahh gotcha.turn the boost up and youll be in the 600 range.sounds like you need to upgrade to a fast 102 intake setup too.
I won't be getting a FAST and l'll turn up the boost when you do.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice caddy. What's in it an ls6?

My wife has a twin turbo AWD 6 speed BMW 535xi wagon. Of coarse i dropped it 2 inches and put 19s on it, intake and exhaust. I've been trying to talk her into getting a 2012 D3 caddy wagon.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanO7
I won't be getting a FAST and l'll turn up the boost when you do.

your leaving some power off the table without it.just remember your LS2 and my LS3.trust me if we had a track like 6 yrs ago the t trim would of been in my vette after I got it back in 2010.no hurry here Im doing it slowly.workin on the blk. z28 new pizza cutters up front.grinding calipers to make it fit.not spending on the drag setup right now.comeback soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Teching In

your leaving some power off the table without it.just remember your LS2 and my LS3.trust me if we had a track like 6 yrs ago the t trim would of been in my vette after I got it back in 2010.no hurry here Im doing it slowly.workin on the blk. z28 new pizza cutters up front.grinding calipers to make it fit.not spending on the drag setup right now.comeback soon.
I don't have enough money to put all the power on the table. LS2/LS3, there is only about a 30hp difference. Easy money.

How much do you have to remove for them to clear the new wheels?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

active duty and single your making money.come on.30 hp stock.its in the heads and the intake where the difference.your right its only $$ spend it.

not much only one side friend worked on the tire shop where I go for install and balance of course its free got the hook ups double stack the stick on weights.should be done this weekend.was paranoid with my old 4ply tires in there this new ones are 8 ply brand new.I feel better doing high speed runs on you know where these days.

Quick Reply: Any one stationed in Hawaii?