Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Something to think about.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Something to think about.

I was talking to a freind at work the other day who was ARMY Spec ops and a buddy of his is a SEAL over in the sand box....

I was telling him how its amazing that you never here a vet complain that has been shot up, shot at ect ect. They are proud for what they did not matter how much pain they are in.

I had no idea that he had taken a few rounds and shrapnel and he started showing me where they hit and a new spot that the doctor just found (hahaha he never knew he got hit there LOL!)

He is in his late 30's and told me there is not a single day that goes by that his feet, back, and knees don't hurt but he does not let it get to him because he is proud of what he did for the USA.

My grandfather was a chopper medic on the Coral Sea in Vietnam. He was shot OUT of his chopper, fell a little less then 100 feet or so and landed in a rice patty. He laied there for a very long time because everyone thought he was dead. An ARMY grunt saw some movement and walked up to him and found him barley alive. My grandfater told him what to do and the kid saved his life.

I saw him in a swimsuit one day and he showed me the places he got hit and what it was.

Something like five AK-47 rounds still in him along his side, a chunk of an anti-aircraft round still in him, and countless shrapnell hits. A few of them are still semi open wounds and the doctors said they would never heal completly and they can't remove anything because it would kill him. The docotrs said there is no logical reason that he should have surived the fall or the hits...

I he is in a motorized wheel chair most of the day, has almost no feeling in one of his hands and is in pain all the time.

He is in his late 60's and I have never heard him complain about it a day in my life and neither has my mother....

At an airshow I was at one time this guy had the old bronze ARMY jump wings on his hat and a guy kept offering him a lot of money for it and the guy said "money can not buy these, they can only be earned"
The other guy said what do you mean.

He said "I earned these at NORMANDY..."

My father is getting ready to retire with 27 years in AF and AIR GUARD and deploys every time they ask him to even though he has a family of six and is 47 years old.... I could not be prouder...

Just some things to remember about the pride of the peole in the worlds best millitary....

Never forget the fallen...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Ill tell you what if you actually get to hear stories of Veitnam, Gulf 1 etc... take it as a privledge. I know alot of vets that will never tell their story. My uncle for example, I never knew he was such a bad *** **** as he is. he's never told me anything except, good luck in my own endevors.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATCFLYBOY02
He's never told me anything except, good luck in my own endevors.
Often that is the only thing you need to hear... Like it was mentioned, the pain is there, you just don't hear about it. My Grandfather was the same way. My Dad talks about his time in the Army, but only the fun times. Now as I get older, that's all I really talk about too... some stories are just to painful to bring back up.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can have the priviledge of hearing war stories at a Veteran's Retirement Home. Walking among the vets during bingo time, one with a chunk of his head missing, another wheeling around with a neck brace, and so on... I was once blessed to be spoken to by a WWII vet, who hasn't spoken for YEARS according to the staff. He was so vague, soft, and nondescript in speaking, you could tell that he was starting to go... He told me of his family, his life, the news that preluded the war, and the war itself.

He cried at the end, and he didn't talk again. There was an enormous circle around me, full of staff and fellow volunteers.

There are a many great men standing under the flag of this country. It makes me sad to know that they end up in retirement homes, seemingly lost or forgotten. War-torn Generals, Colonels, Sergeant Majors, Chief POs and Master Sergeants... Lost among the crowd that places higher value on pop culture.

Yet another reason why I think everyone should do a stint in the service.

Quick Reply: Something to think about.