Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

PRK or LASIK military members inside!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default PRK or LASIK military members inside!

Ok, I'm going for eye surgery to correct my farsightedness. I need to know what type of surgery you had and if you had any complications afterward. Also what is your military job? I'm a flight engineer for CH-47's and maybe putting my packet in to go to flight school. So any info helps. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone??? Please chime in.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LASIK isn't an approved vision correction proceedure for pilots. It's PRK or nothing if you want to fly.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JK but he is right its PRK or nothing for flyers
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM
NKAWTG...N

I had PRK. I'm in AFROTC now with a pilot slot.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I'm a USMC pilot with PRK.

.....Well worth it. You can't push negative G's with lasik or your eyeballs will fall apart. FOD in the cockpit is a big no-no......
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT Malice

.....Well worth it. You can't push negative G's with lasik or your eyeballs will fall apart. FOD in the cockpit is a big no-no......

but ya cant pick up the FOD if u dont have any eyeballs to see with
Old 03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boy its a no no but you might be surprised all the weird **** our pilots leave/drop in our jets
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Malicious
Boy its a no no but you might be surprised all the weird **** our pilots leave/drop in our jets
totally off topic, but I have to tell somebody.

I was doing solo aerobatics yesterday at 8500ft. I had a half full bottle of water in my mapcase. At the top a cuban 8, It started raining heavily in the cockpit. There was a pool of water on my canopy. I held the airplane inverted and soaked up the water with my gloves. I rolled upright and **** was everywhere.

I had touched 9900ft at the top of my loop, and the hi pressure air in the bottle caused it to explode, and the cap shot off, unlocking the mapcase from the inside, allowing the stuff to escape into the cockpit. After I landed I spent 10 minutes picking little pieces of plastic off the floor of my aircraft.

Here is the best part IMHO. AFter it blew up and I rolled upright, the leftover bottom part of the bottle had a good pint of water left in it. I already had to ****, so I didn't want to drink it. I slowed to 120kts, opened the canopy and poured it overboard.

/threadjack
Old 03-29-2007, 04:17 PM
NKAWTG...N

Damn Malice, what aircraft you doing this in?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took the survival kit out of a seat last night we removed for FO and I swear the 'hair' that was under the kit in the seat pan couldn't have come but from a few places

Back on topic, sorry

I was doing solo aerobatics yesterday at 8500ft. I had a half full bottle of water in my mapcase. At the top a cuban 8, It started raining heavily in the cockpit. There was a pool of water on my canopy. I held the airplane inverted and soaked up the water with my gloves. I rolled upright and **** was everywhere.

I had touched 9900ft at the top of my loop, and the hi pressure air in the bottle caused it to explode, and the cap shot off, unlocking the mapcase from the inside, allowing the stuff to escape into the cockpit. After I landed I spent 10 minutes picking little pieces of plastic off the floor of my aircraft.

Here is the best part IMHO. AFter it blew up and I rolled upright, the leftover bottom part of the bottle had a good pint of water left in it. I already had to ****, so I didn't want to drink it. I slowed to 120kts, opened the canopy and poured it overboard.

/threadjack
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

I got PRK about year and a half-two years ago. I am in the USMC infantry. I believe the military only does PRK. It is well worth it. I can't believe I wore contacts as long as I did. Eyes dry out easily for the first six months afterwards. But thats the only side effect. I see 20/20 left eye, 20/15 in right. It's good ****. I sat under the laser for about 45 sec each eye. You can see the steam like stuff and smell your eyes burning.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Launching!

do u guys like the pbk? Ive been thinkin about gettin it especially now that I found out I cant be oc sprayed during re le cert whenever I leave here. I know Im a wuss
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Doing the PRK on the 20th of April. Thanks for the input and would like to hear anymore that may be out there. Thanks again
SSG Steele
Army
Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Prk...

Iyaayas
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Teching In

I got PRK back in December and I just went for my 3 month check up and Im 20/12 in both eyes. I loved it, and have no issues at all. Good Luck
Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Prk is the only laser eye sugury the military does. it usually has like a 98% sucess rate. somthing like that, i am not an eye doctor but i am medical and have friends that deal with this stuff. make sure you write down all your questions and ask them when you see the doctor. there is a few things you should know, like if your eyes ever get worse again, contacts are out the door. your eye ball will have been reshaped and they won't stay. but i don't know many people that has had thier vision worsen since the surgury. good luck with everything let us know how it all goes.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

you can always get it redone I believe. Plus by the time they get bad again or worse you will probobly be able to get new eyes. It's well worth it I believe.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Launching!

I got glasses and am thinking about getting on the list, what is th edifference between prk and lasik?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 AM
JUICED96Z

/threadjack
You know LT.... your future crew chiefs are going to LOVE you! You and food and drinks in the cockpit LOL........

My mom had LASIK. Said once she sad up it was worlds different with her vision. no problems at all.

Quick Reply: PRK or LASIK military members inside!