Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Post-retirement jobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Post-retirement jobs

Maybe we could get a little list going to help some of you old crusty troops. Putting in my retirement packet in June, hopefully it will get approved this time. I'm moving back home to D/FW even if I have to collect aluminum cans for a living, or sell my body to rich old women. But I already have a couple of leads on for sure jobs that have openings nationwide, including D/FW. I can be an instructor for the JROTC program at a highschool. Pay figures out to be about what you make on active duty at the time of retirement, plus BAS and everything (plus your retirement pay). Pretty easy job, and you could even be hired by the school your at for another position like baseball coach, ect. They even have openings overseas in Hawaii, Virgin islands, Guam, Pureto Rico, American Samoa. Enlisted you don't need a degree, but if you've been in 20+ years you probably already have almost enough credits for an associates with your military schools. That how I completed mine.
Link:
https://www.usarmyjrotc.com/jrotc/dt...Pay/index.html

vacancies:
https://www.usarmyjrotc.com/jrotcRes...OTCVacancy.xls

You can also get a job as a civilian ROTC instructor through COMtek. I work with ROTC right now, and I could retire and keep working the same job as a civilian, but getting more pay. If you are enlisted you need an associates degree, but I was at a conference yesterday, and our new region commander said that could get waived if the school really wants you. Infantrymen prefered, but they will also consider other MOS's if you have combat experience.

Link w/ vacancies:
http://www.gijobs.net/profile.cfm?id=10

I have a hookup on both of those jobs because I work at ROTC eastern HQ at Ft Dix, and JROTC hq's is in the office next to me. Just a couple of jobs that alot of people may not know about out there. If you know something else, post up.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem I found in DFW was that companies don't pay enough. If you have a clearance above secret, you should be able to do something with Raytheon or L3 Communications. I just had very poor luck in that market. Got hired on with Autozone at the huge distribution center and with all my experience, 4 year degree, etc all I made was about 38k. Good luck there, I was glad to leave.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
JUICED96Z

Yeah if you have a clearance look at defense contractors like Raytheon and stuff like that. Some places hire people to test out new weapons systems. Hire people to try and "sell" them to the military brass, all sorts of stuff.

A friend of mine is ARMY INF retired and he did JROTC for a while and liked it.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
The problem I found in DFW was that companies don't pay enough. If you have a clearance above secret, you should be able to do something with Raytheon or L3 Communications. I just had very poor luck in that market. Got hired on with Autozone at the huge distribution center and with all my experience, 4 year degree, etc all I made was about 38k. Good luck there, I was glad to leave.
um....you might wanna check your facts.

yes, companies in D/FW might not pay well RELATIVELY speaking...

I can afford a 1,500 sq ft home on $15/hour.

The cost of living in Texas is the lowest in the nation!

And I've got a Bachelors and Masters degree! You might find higher paying jobs elsewhere, but the cost of living is astronomical. i.e. California and Chicago.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

+1...Id love to retire to DFW, tons to do, weather is pretty good and it is very affordable. Im stationed in Abilene and go to DFW all the time. I actually just put in for San Antonio (Lackland) cause now have a family, one kid and another here soon and I dont want to be somewhere crazy expensive. Texas is ok in my book!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just a bit of factual info I dug up for Splitz, according to some 4th Quarter 2006 info I dug up, South Dakota is the lowest in the nation, not Texas... Let's not go after someone about 'facts', especially Reckless, when your 'facts' aren't correct. Probably one of the more honest guys you'll find on here. Not saying everyone lies but I've never seen him BS anyone.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

okey dokey then....sorry about my mis information, I can admit when I'm wrong.

But really, who wants to live in South Dakota anyway???

I apologize for my assumption!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't mean it as a personal attack Un whoring this thread now
Old 04-20-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

I plan on working for the Post Office when I retire. Collect my retirement check, which will be more than enough to pay my mortgage (retiring in Lufkin, TX). Then, my post office check can pay for my toys, and kids college. Do 20 years with the post office and retire again. Then, I will have 2 retirement checks coming in at age 58. It would be nice if my plan works, and the wife and I both can get on with the Post Office. Then, we will have 3 federal style retirements when I'm 58 and she is 49. But we shall see. "Semper Gumby" is what I always say. Be Flexible.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Splitz
um....you might wanna check your facts.

yes, companies in D/FW might not pay well RELATIVELY speaking...

I can afford a 1,500 sq ft home on $15/hour.

The cost of living in Texas is the lowest in the nation!

And I've got a Bachelors and Masters degree! You might find higher paying jobs elsewhere, but the cost of living is astronomical. i.e. California and Chicago.
My aunt is an agent for remax in Flower Mound. So far, she has given me a list af about 20 brand new homes in the area. 3-4 bdrooms, 1-2 car garage, nice yard, ect. Some have a swimming pool. All are in the 190K-225K range. And those are just the new houses. That will get you an 80 year old shack here in NJ lol
Old 04-21-2007, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Splitz
But really, who wants to live in South Dakota anyway???
Its not really that bad here. Traffic is not bad, and you dont have to deal with a million people. But I dont want to live here in 5 years either, Im not sure where I will be but I would not mind Texas.

The cost of living is some what cheap but we dont get paid squat either.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK85
Its not really that bad here. Traffic is not bad, and you dont have to deal with a million people. But I dont want to live here in 5 years either, Im not sure where I will be but I would not mind Texas.

The cost of living is some what cheap but we dont get paid squat either.
Totally understand that one.

I lived in NJ up to when i was like 10 (obviously I didn't know anything at that age).

Then we moved to the D/FW area and our family changed. All of a sudden my parents were like, wow, we got money!

The cost of living dramatically changes from area to area. You got cheap places to "live" like SD and parts of TX, to the astronomically stupid expensive places like the North East and California.

But again, it's all relative. The wages in the area that you are going to live will USUALLY = the cost of living, or else nobody would live there.

When I was exiting the USAF, I was offered a job in the Chicago area starting at $60k, but the cost of living in Chicago that wouldn't get me a breadbox apartment.

So, I ended up back "home" in the D/FW area. Low housing costs, moved to a new build house in an 'up and coming' area with excellent schools, and only 20 miles from work.

One thing is for sure....every area has it's good points and bad points. It is just realizing to yourself what is bad enough to put up with.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well i'm not going to retire but i'm out in JAN after almost 6 years. I'm heading back to Houston. I get back from IRAQ in sept and then have to find a JOB.

Brad
Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
I plan on working for the Post Office when I retire. Collect my retirement check, which will be more than enough to pay my mortgage (retiring in Lufkin, TX). Then, my post office check can pay for my toys, and kids college. Do 20 years with the post office and retire again. Then, I will have 2 retirement checks coming in at age 58. It would be nice if my plan works, and the wife and I both can get on with the Post Office. Then, we will have 3 federal style retirements when I'm 58 and she is 49. But we shall see. "Semper Gumby" is what I always say. Be Flexible.
LOL that's my plan as well, I'm already a Postal Clerk in the Navy so I've got a head start
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4150
LOL that's my plan as well, I'm already a Postal Clerk in the Navy so I've got a head start
Hopefully the plan works.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I lived in SOuth Dakota and Texas....I would pick Texas over SD any time
Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I find it very funny about how the cost of living is so dramacticly different in area's. I make right at 50k a year and the wife makes almost 45k. And we don't have squat were we are at at the moment. With my wife's income and mine combined, I make almost twice as my sister and brother in law, and they have three times more than what we have, and still have money building up in the bank.

I will retire in about 12 years, and then I will probibly work with my father in law, in Keyport Sub Base, over in Kitsap County Wa. He spent 24 yrs in the navy, got out and moved to Washington State and started pulling in almost 110k a year, its a GS14 Classified job. After three years of working there, he makes well over 120k. That is a pretty nice living, espically when most of his bills are paid for with his retirment check.

Hes probibly got one of the coolest jobs I have seen also. He travels more now, than what he did in the navy, he gets to watch things being blown up and sunk, and gets paid good money doing it.

Quick Reply: Post-retirement jobs