Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Edwards AFB anyone from there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edwards AFB anyone from there?

got some inside information about a possible position..

like to find out more about the area..other then "its the desert"

ie place to live close towns.

racing..street..tracks..
Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SINISTER
got some inside information about a possible position..

like to find out more about the area..other then "its the desert"

ie place to live close towns.

racing..street..tracks..
Basically Edwards is in the desert...oh wait you said besides that...humm
The local towns are tiny, and dont offer much...cost of living is still outragous even though you are in the middle of nowhere. Vegas is reasonably close, LA is also within driving distance...for you racing you would either have to find other basers, or go to Vegas or LA, to find a real "scene" The people that i know that have been there couldnt wait to leave, but everyone has a different opinion on bases
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I loved my time there -Lancaster and Palmdale kinda sucked (lots of crime/LA rejects/prisons) but Willow Springs is 15 miles from the base and there are several drag strips within 2 hours (LACR was 30 mins away but it closed down). You could also live in Rosamond or Cal City (both are small highway towns but, IMO a little nicer than Palmcaster) There are some GREAT scenic roads to drive on. There isn't much right near the base but you're 2-3hours from pretty much anything you could want to do -beach (LA/San Diego areas), snow (Mammoth & Big Bear), Hollywood, Malibu, all kinds of neat stuff.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

I've been here at Edwards for almost 3 years now...and I've finally got orders out of here. The base is in the middle of everything; LA is 1.5hrs, Las Vegas 2.5hrs, San Francisco 6.5 hrs, Mexico 4 hrs. If you don't mind a lot of driving - there are some cool places to go. We've racked up 70K miles in 2.5 years on our car.

My advice: if you have a choice, look elsewhere.

Last edited by yerny; 03-22-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Minor changes
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I don't spend too much time in forums. Anyway, I've been here for four years. I lived in Lancaser for about six months before moving on base. The crime sux in Lancaster, Palmdale, Rosamond and Cal Shitty(City). Lancaser and Palmdales crime is up because they are in LA county and there is a Jail outside of Lancaster. They closed down LACR not that long ago so there are no local drag strips. The only ones that are close is Califronia Speed Way, Bakersfield, others that I cant think of right now but you have to do some driving. The famous Willow Springs track is right outside the gate in Rosamond been there a few times. Tahacipie(sp) is a cool place to live from what I hear but it is in the mountains about a 45min drive. If you have anymore questions PM me I have to go now.

Quick Reply: Edwards AFB anyone from there?