Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

DSLR video guys, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question DSLR video guys, need help!

Looking at picking up a DLSR here in the few weeks, don't want to spend a lot as pictures aren't my job or hobby, really I would be using it for videos...mostly racing, street & track, with the occasional pictures for myself. Looked at a T4i today but not deadset on that one or anything.

Anyways, I was looking for anyone that could help me out by posting or creating a video for me. Where I live, our highways don't have street lights hardly anywhere, so I would like to see how a DSLR does in this environment. Can't really find any videos on youtube, other than one someone linked me that are what I'm looking for. I know they look great when there is light around but I won't always have that.

Basically, this is what I don't want to be stuck with:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvQf0Ahs4U
Once the car gets out in front, it looks good but when they are side by side...NOTHING. My cheapy camcorder can at least get the outline of a car when they are side by side.

I was told this can be done on a DLSR by upping the ISO a ton. Any truth to that?

If someone would be so awesome as to have a DSLR and make a video for me out in the pitch black highway next to another car, that would be awesome!!! But if you can give me a link or just some info on things in general that make it would work as well. Just don't want to waste my money.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is my T2I with 50mm 1.8 lens

the only draw back on dslr is the zoom
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up a 2.8 zoom lens?
My D700 doesnt have video so I cant exacty say how the video on the SLRs and lenses works.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Teching In

I think you are asking a lot of the camera. I will see if I can come up with a video tonight, I have a canon 7d. I am guessing its gonna be pretty noisey if the video is brighter than it is to the eye. I have not used my camera for video that much but I hate how crappy works compared to an actual video camera.

I have an old Sony with "night vision" that me work better. I think the new Sony video cameras are the **** right now.

Here is a video I took with my 7d. I know its not what you want to see as for your example but it is in HD and my daughter is pretty cute!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TX RED
here is my T2I with 50mm 1.8 lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR5zb...qyjuF4qN5v8R7Q

the only draw back on dslr is the zoom
Thanks, got any using it side by side out there? Looks like the perfect environment, just the headlights give it all the light it needs.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by snoops
I think you are asking a lot of the camera. I will see if I can come up with a video tonight, I have a canon 7d. I am guessing its gonna be pretty noisey if the video is brighter than it is to the eye. I have not used my camera for video that much but I hate how crappy works compared to an actual video camera.

I have an old Sony with "night vision" that me work better. I think the new Sony video cameras are the **** right now.

Here is a video I took with my 7d. I know its not what you want to see as for your example but it is in HD and my daughter is pretty cute!!!
I'd agree I'm definitely asking a lot I would think. Just looking for something decent, not perfect. Can't expect much with little to no light, but some have said the ISO settings make a big difference. A little noise doesn't bother me as that's how my cheapy Sony camcorder does it.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

you can only do so much with iso... the lens is going to play a big role in how much light you can get . also you have to manual focus as well. I think you better off with a video cam sony has some good ones on the market right now

Quick Reply: DSLR video guys, need help!