Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

04 Gto Vs 05 Stang Gt

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAn I am not impressed at all with the newer Stang...It looks good though..I like the retro look.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
MAn I am not impressed at all with the newer Stang...It looks good though..I like the retro look.
It's a furd.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLP LS1
Ford can never get anything right, but there body style!!!!
I beg to differ with that as well... looks nasty... but to each his own
Old 10-25-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

The new Stang is running what the old one was running, but they do need to be broken in and practiced with.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
The new Stang is running what the old one was running, but they do need to be broken in and practiced with.
I think its selling point will be its strong 0-60. The average GT owner reads Car and Driver and not MM&FF. I swear, 1/2 the people who look at time slips are like.."daaayumm..you ran a 0-60 in 2.0 seconds?!"

Handles a lot better too from what I here.

-Todd
Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow. a new mustang that runs 14's! just like every other year
Old 10-26-2004, 12:52 AM
formerly BlacKSS2oo2 (9-20-2012)

Hmmmm. 05 suck. They look like a pancake, slow too.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
The GTO had a drop in K&N Filter. The white GT guy new how to drive; he got a 1.9 60 footer. I think this car will probably run high 13's/low 14's stock but with a higher MPH than this guy got.

-Todd
new gt stang was tested at 13.6@99mph in motor trend so its pretty much mid 13's capable its just a matter of the driver. if the guy launched it good that's half the battle..maybe he shifts like crap...that takes off a bit of time as well.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Apex_632
new gt stang was tested at 13.6@99mph in motor trend so its pretty much mid 13's capable its just a matter of the driver. if the guy launched it good that's half the battle..maybe he shifts like crap...that takes off a bit of time as well.
The guy seemed to shift correctly by the look of the 300, 1/8 and 1000 footer though. And that is a motor trend time; ask any objective person what they think of Motor Trend racing times; I think they got my 98 LS1 M6 to do a 1/4 mile at 13.9, the new Lambo Gallardo at 12.7 (AWD+500 horses should do better than that LOL). They got a BMW 330 to do like the 1/4 at 14.2. They have a bias.

-Todd
Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

One magazine test doesn't mean it's a 13 second car, it's better to average the times all the magazines get to have the best idea of what the car will do.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
One magazine test doesn't mean it's a 13 second car, it's better to average the times all the magazines get to have the best idea of what the car will do.
I generally trust the enthusiast magazines like GMHTP, MMFF and such.

They drive like us

-Todd
Old 10-26-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

I heard ford cancelled the SVT program. No new lightning no new cobra no new focus.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SDC
I heard ford cancelled the SVT program. No new lightning no new cobra no new focus.
Just for one year.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like I need to go to silver dollar! I want a street video of one of these. Would be nice to have the first streetracing video
Old 10-26-2004, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

If you listen to the video the black one was driven my a guy that drives a 10 sec stang. I would guess that he knows how to drive a stick.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:19 PM
MSI
Teching In

SVT "postponed" the Lightning so they could fully concentrate on the new 06 Cobra. I don't care if you're John Force you have to practice launching ANY new vehicle, especially one with Pirelli M/S 235's. I can guarantee you MM&FF will have one well into the 13's, and the aftermarket takes to a Mustang like a fish to water so while F-body guys are lamenting the loss of their F-body, Mustang guys are modding away.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSI
SVT "postponed" the Lightning so they could fully concentrate on the new 06 Cobra. I don't care if you're John Force you have to practice launching ANY new vehicle, especially one with Pirelli M/S 235's. I can guarantee you MM&FF will have one well into the 13's, and the aftermarket takes to a Mustang like a fish to water so while F-body guys are lamenting the loss of their F-body, Mustang guys are modding away.
What kind of really stupid troll are you dude? 1.9 60 footer=GOOD. Grow the **** up and look at the facts. Why is it that you call BS when you see TWO videoes but will shove in our faces what a MAGAZINE gets. You have no idea what MMFF will get but it will probably be a high 13 second car.

You also havn't the slightest idea about the aftermarket and the LS1 is. For one, the 67 Camaro with its small block basically created the aftermarket scene. Secondly, I have always liked when Mustang dudes say things like "I hate the LS1..a lid+exhaust=50 RWHP!". I am going to bet this SOHC engine will not respond as well to mods as the LS1..no N/A Ford Engine has. This engine apears to be better than the 99-04 modular, but

1) That isn't saying much
2) It still won't be able to get into the 11's stock H/C, N/A like an LS1 can.

How does it feel to be getting a car that barely beats out the LT1 which is an engine that came out in 1991 ands bottom end came from the L98.

you stupid troll.

-Todd
Old 10-27-2004, 09:49 AM
MSI
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
What kind of really stupid troll are you dude? 1.9 60 footer=GOOD. Grow the **** up and look at the facts. Why is it that you call BS when you see TWO videoes but will shove in our faces what a MAGAZINE gets. You have no idea what MMFF will get but it will probably be a high 13 second car.

You also havn't the slightest idea about the aftermarket and the LS1 is. For one, the 67 Camaro with its small block basically created the aftermarket scene. Secondly, I have always liked when Mustang dudes say things like "I hate the LS1..a lid+exhaust=50 RWHP!". I am going to bet this SOHC engine will not respond as well to mods as the LS1..no N/A Ford Engine has. This engine apears to be better than the 99-04 modular, but

1) That isn't saying much
2) It still won't be able to get into the 11's stock H/C, N/A like an LS1 can.

How does it feel to be getting a car that barely beats out the LT1 which is an engine that came out in 1991 ands bottom end came from the L98.

you stupid troll.

-Todd
Haha. Alright tough guy, calm down. And no, I'm not a troll. I expressed my opinion just like plenty of Camaro guys on Mustang websites do. It is called free speech and an open forum. I know plenty about the aftermarket considering I've put many thousands of dollars into it. A 1.9 is a decent 60-foot but if you can sit there and tell me that a set of 235 M/S tires are not hindering his launch then you obviously know a lot less about racing than I thought. Oh, and I never called BS on the video. I AM saying I'm not taking the 14.04 as the definitive Mustang 1/4 mile time. As soon as the videos were posted suddenly the new Mustang was a POS and a 14.04 was as fast as one will ever go. I am simply stating on BRAND NEW cars with stocker tires there is probably quite a bit of ET that can be whittled off with sticky tires and some more practicing at launches. And once again, if you can't understand that...oh well. And since I don't know what MMFF will get in the 1/4 how do you know the new Stang will not take to mods good? You are ASSuming just like I did so I guess you know what that makes us. Oh. And last time I checked, Ford DOES have a Mustang that can do some serious damage on the track or street and takes to mods REALLY well. (And it has a future!) Now let's see if YOU can grow up as you advised me and respond without using expletives. Have a good day my friend.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MSI
A 1.9 is a decent 60-foot but if you can sit there and tell me that a set of 235 M/S tires are not hindering his launch then you obviously know a lot less about racing than I thought.
Decent on those tires? Those are AMAZING on those tires. But we are talking about stock cars and that guy hooked up perfectly. You said before :

Originally Posted by MSI
and people do have to practice how to launch.
Looks like this guy knows how to launch. We are also talking about stock cars here. Once you start modding, all bets are off.

Originally Posted by MSI
Oh, and I never called BS on the video.
No but you don't believe the times even though the guy can obviously drive. Or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Originally Posted by MSI
I AM saying I'm not taking the 14.04 as the definitive Mustang 1/4 mile time.
Neither am I. I believe it will run the same as the old one. I just feel the trap speed will be a little higher than this guys which is the real thing will change after it is broken in.

Originally Posted by MS1
As soon as the videos were posted suddenly the new Mustang was a POS and a 14.04 was as fast as one will ever go.
If the new Mustang is only as fast as the old one then it really is a POS. I'm sorry. One of the reasons why I am annoyed at that time is that it doesn't give GM much room to improve on the next F-body/ Chevelle. It will only have to be as fast as the LS1 versions of it which seem like it will be another full second faster in the 1/4.

Originally Posted by MS1
I am simply stating on BRAND NEW cars with stocker tires there is probably quite a bit of ET that can be whittled off with sticky tires and some more practicing at launches. And once again, if you can't understand that...oh well.
If we are going to talk about modded cars with just tires...it will still be a lot slower than a similary modded GTO/F-body. Again, how much better do you think that 60 footer is going to be..even with Nittos? Do you expect a 1.5 60 footer on a 260 RWHP car? Not IMHO. I am going to guess it will respond like the Mach I, which does not respond as well as a Viper does to better tires. With tires, this car will probably be a mid 13 second car. If you look at all the stats of the car, the gearing, the power and the weight, it is not .5 seconds faster than the 04 GT. Those are facts. There is more proof of this car running high 13's then low 13's. But I look forward to being proven wrong. Although there have been many many runs and none even come close to "well into the 13s"

Originally Posted by MSI
And since I don't know what MMFF will get in the 1/4 how do you know the new Stang will not take to mods good? You are ASSuming just like I did so I guess you know what that makes us.
you made a funny! Anyway, this engine is very similar to ford's previous SOHC modular engines which do not respond very well to bolt-on mods or anything else for that matter when compared to GM small blocks. It is an imporvment over the last engine, but again that isn't saying much.

Originally Posted by MSI
Oh. And last time I checked, Ford DOES have a Mustang that can do some serious damage on the track or street and takes to mods REALLY well. (And it has a future!) Now let's see if YOU can grow up as you advised me and respond without using expletives. Have a good day my friend.
It certianly does. But we are talking about 05 GT.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:06 PM
MSI
Teching In

Come on dude. Motor Trend reports a 13.6 1/4 and everyone here is crying foul and Ford must be paying them off! The guy ran a 14.04 in the vid. Congratulations! I never once called BS on the run I'm just saying it can be improved on. Modded or not, did you automatically take your Camaro out and run the best times within the first day or two you had it? I would say NO. Whether you've raced for years or not, some practice time at the track with a new car will 9 times out of 10 produce a better ET, period.That does not mean every new Mustang will run that time, or be faster or slower, whether according to the MT review or the two in the video. Do you know what would happen to a publication like Motor Trend if they were busted for lying about stuff like that?? They would never be in print again. We can sit here and go back and forth all day about what it runs or if you believe MT's times or whatever. All I know is two different magazines got it from 0-60 in 5.0 and 5.1 seconds...MotorWeek and Motor Trend. It obviously has potential and even if it is a tenth or two slower than a 02 F-body I'm happy that I'm still able to go purchase one NEW, and know the Mustang has a future with great aftermarket support as usual.