Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Hi-8 to mpg/avi/something?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-8 to mpg/avi/something?

Yet another question. I have about 4 hours of tape from the Powertour, on Hi-8 tapes (cassette looking things) as it was the only thing i could borrow from someone at the time..

so any ideas on how to get that on the comp and convert itwouldbe nice..

im guesing a ATI all in wonder card or something, and a few programs??? no real idea... thanks for any ideas/help

Brandon
Old 06-13-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

You need a program like Pinnacle which is pretty new user friendly. You also need firewire to upload it to your comp and then you can edit it. Its really not very hard. But to put 4 hours on your comp will eat up a lot of memory...
Old 06-13-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

hrmm, well i know i have firewire on my board, but as far as a cable or hooking it up to the vid camera..........?

it has the mini rca lookin jack, best i can tell..
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Pinnacle and a firewire card is what I use.. The firewire is 10x better than the standard USB port. I have done both, recommend atleast Firewire or USB 2.0 and a good program.. Pinnacle is easy to use, but I'd like to find software thats more powerful so I can do some of the more advanced stuff that i see on the forum here.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

If you use the AV Jacks you will need the ATI AIW adaptor

Either some where on this page
http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=20

OR

what i use
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2538007

Yes Pinnical Is easy to use so is windows movie maker on all Windows XP SP2 systems.

If you dont see anything that looks like a mini USB/Firewire port you will have to use the AV Jack outlets to get the video to your computer. Sadly thats what i have to do.

Instead of using the camera, use the Hi-8 Tape's Full tape thing...if that makes sence, you can put the Hi8 tape from your camera in to the full size tape, put it in your VCR and play it, then from your VCR hook your AV Jacks in to the input and should work.....If that didnt make sence, PM me or get a hold of me on Riddic LS1 on AIM and i can walk you through step by step