Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick ?

I would like to retain the stock look under the hood. I like the whole sleeper thing even if you pop thew hood. My ? is this, with the stock air box and baffels in place would it be wise to fill the baffels with some type of foam to fill them so no air is allowed in? If this sounds doable would it in theory be the same as having no baffels at all? Thanks for any replies in advance! Also would this be a good time for having done the free mods and an exhuast cut out, and some nitto dr's.
Rea:.704
60': 2.049
330': 5.592
1000': 10.737 @ 99.46
Old 09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quick ?

If you filled the baffles with foam, the only thing I am thinking is that the foam might start peeling off and being stopped by the MAF screen, or being ingested by the engine, which I would assume would be bad. If you were to find a foam that could withstand the high speed air going past it, I would say that would be an excellent idea. The lid's are designed to flow air much better then the stock setup, and I would assume even better then the baffles filled with foam. Plus, nobody I have shown my engine compartment to knows any work has been done at all. Lid, MAF, ported throttle body, and an ls6 intake ... can all be done without making anything look "aftermarkety".

Reaction time needs to improve, and your 60ft should be a tad lower with the nitto's ...
Old 09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Launching!

That was the one concern that I did have was having the foam peel away. As for the runs I do need more practice thats for sure this is the first car that I have had a standard in all others have been autos.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 PM

That was the one concern that I did have was having the foam peel away. As for the runs I do need more practice thats for sure this is the first car that I have had a standard in all others have been autos.
Your times aren't bad by any means ... but they can definately drop with some practice.

As for the foam, I would call around to some companies that make like spray on foam and such, and see if they recommend anything.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

If you are keeping the stock lid, you should just remove the baffels. This would allow more room for air to move around rather than squishing it against the filter as your method would. Aftermarket lids are generally a little taller and thus with the smooth undersides flow more air. Just cut out the baffles stay away from the foam or dig deep and buy a black lid for $99 dollars and put your stock stickers on it.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM

I agree with blk2000 ... I think you should definately get a lid ... but if you want it to look 100% stock for any reason, try removing the baffles completely as he said. The foam idea sounds great in theory, but it seems like too much could go wrong with it.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. It was an idea last night at the track we had alot of people looking at our cars, guys I went with has a TA that went 9.9 all motor and 9.43 with the juice only a 1000' track though. I will probably just end up buying a new lid on pay day with some other odds and ends. Once again thanks for the info.
Brandon