New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a 4 cylinder keep up with a V8??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, alot of good input on here. Im a noob I actually just sold a 94 integra last week that i did an all motor build on. It was pushing 230ish to the wheels. But I had to push it up to if not past the red line to do anything decent in it. Now I have a 98 t/a and no doubt the ls1 (at low rpm even) slaughters the 4cyl. The f- bodys are just torque monsters that have to put very little effort to beat a 4 cyl. I know the OP was talking about the all wheel drive 4 bangers. well a buddy of mine just spent like 35k or somthing rediculous like that for an Evo VIII. I took him in my 5k dollar t/a. dang right More hp for the $.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Resident

I took him in my 5k dollar t/a.
Haha, sweet!!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BeeJay
yeah, alot of good input on here. Im a noob I actually just sold a 94 integra last week that i did an all motor build on. It was pushing 230ish to the wheels. But I had to push it up to if not past the red line to do anything decent in it. Now I have a 98 t/a and no doubt the ls1 (at low rpm even) slaughters the 4cyl. The f- bodys are just torque monsters that have to put very little effort to beat a 4 cyl. I know the OP was talking about the all wheel drive 4 bangers. well a buddy of mine just spent like 35k or somthing rediculous like that for an Evo VIII. I took him in my 5k dollar t/a. dang right More hp for the $.
And I'd take you in my $500 gixxer 750. You are comparing apples and oranges. Its also rediculous to compare a old used car price and a new car price. Your car was probably around $25k new, with inflation would cost $30k new, and you dont have AWD, traction control, stability control, 8 air bags, computer controlled differentials, a warranty, the ***** pull of a new car, and the list goes on. I have an STI, and I surely didnt buy it for the HP number, which is why i also have a turbo'd LS1 going in my pickup truck.

Originally Posted by someguy
my buddy just payed $40k or something rediculous for a new camaro, and i just wasted him in my $30k sti on a dirt road. What an idiot.
See what i mean. I'll take you in the snow ANYDAY bitch.

Back to the issue of why 4 bangers are fast. As already said 10 times. Hp/weight ratio. Look at bikes.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

I raced a few bikes, cbr 600...I got em off the line and he didn't catch up. I figured maybe he just quit or something. The trick is get those guys off the line.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Its pretty simple, Boost. In theory running 8psi of boost adds 50% displacement of the engine by air flow volume. Since a motor is just a big air pump right. Step up to 15psi and you double the displacement of the engine and so on. So a subaru 2.5 @ 8psi is flowing the displacement of a 3.6-3.8 litre. so at 15psi that 2.5 is flowing at the displacement of a 5.0 litre. Put 8psi of boost to a stock ls1 and it will flow the displacement of a 8.0 litre and make 500whp. The ls1 will have a way better power curve too. That is the one thing that Boosted 4cylinders lack, power under the curve!!!
Good info here; I was wondering if you can generalize nitrous applications to hypothetical displacement in the same manner? For example, would a 100 shot of NO2 be equivalent to 50% of displacement?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
It has a Turbo to compensate.. basically the same reason a Cobra needs the Kenne Bell.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

nitrous is not like a turbo beacuse it dosent force any more air in it just intruduces more oxygen to the mixture so u cant really put a deplacement amount on it
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rcoolb2002
And I'd take you in my $500 gixxer 750. You are comparing apples and oranges. Its also rediculous to compare a old used car price and a new car price. Your car was probably around $25k new, with inflation would cost $30k new, and you dont have AWD, traction control, stability control, 8 air bags, computer controlled differentials, a warranty, the ***** pull of a new car, and the list goes on. I have an STI, and I surely didnt buy it for the HP number, which is why i also have a turbo'd LS1 going in my pickup truck.
rcool, I respectfully disagree. It's not always ridiculous to compare. Horsepower per dollar is very important to a lot of people. So is reliability. These comparisons happen all the time for a reason.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gmullin
nitrous is not like a turbo beacuse it dosent force any more air in it just intruduces more oxygen to the mixture so u cant really put a deplacement amount on it
True, good point. I was just wondering since both nitrous and boost ultimately do the same thing: make the engine spin faster. Correct?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to see a 2500hp 4 cyl.

i sure see many 2500hp lsx motors running around.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rdemarce
I raced a few bikes, cbr 600...I got em off the line and he didn't catch up. I figured maybe he just quit or something. The trick is get those guys off the line.
I dunno about the CBR 600, but my 636 with a couple bolt-ons and gears I could get it to go low 10's there was a guy who could drive better than me who ran on to high 9's. I am not saying it didn't happen but there are alot of bike riders who can't drive.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

i sure see many 2500hp lsx motors running around.
Wow, I never realised they could be pushed that far
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Its pretty simple, Boost. In theory running 8psi of boost adds 50% displacement of the engine by air flow volume. Since a motor is just a big air pump right. Step up to 15psi and you double the displacement of the engine and so on. So a subaru 2.5 @ 8psi is flowing the displacement of a 3.6-3.8 litre. so at 15psi that 2.5 is flowing at the displacement of a 5.0 litre. Put 8psi of boost to a stock ls1 and it will flow the displacement of a 8.0 litre and make 500whp. The ls1 will have a way better power curve too. That is the one thing that Boosted 4cylinders lack, power under the curve!!!
Kinglt-1 basically summed it up for the most part right there. But yea for a 4 cyl. to keep up with an 8, or a even a 6 and so forth its going to need rpm or a power adder.

Apples to apples an 8 cyl. will always make more power then a 4 cyl. But give the 4 cyl. more rpms or positive displacement then things change. Just simple physics, if you want to know more read up in the subject of thermodynamics and that will help explain a lot

Justin
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Weight and power adder!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by taws6
Hi,

How come a 4 cylinder car can give a V8 a run for it's money?

Agreed most of the 4 cylinder cars are lighter, AWD with turbo, and they're reving in their upper limits.

Eg 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-4 engine puts out 305 horsepower.

Yet my na 5.7 V8 runs the same kind of numbers.

It's just the math doesn't seem to add up.

I know hp / liter is ricer math, so I won't refer to it, but my engin is twice the size, does that mean it's half as effient? It cant be, as mpg / liter is as good.... Hmmm......
Please enlighten me, thanks for the info
What's up dude Ive had the same question rolling threw my head, why does a 4 banger **** burner roast my big block v8 on occations? Well like you said they have turbos and supercharger sand better hp-weight ratio but the thing is we run just a simple v8 with good parts but what happens when we turbo charge and slap all that good **** on our v8. We kick *** and that's how it works. They run power to little weight and we run power to big weight. Just got to up the anti.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,100 Posts

We'll leave this discussion in 2009, where it began.

This isn't the right section for it anyway.

Quick Reply: How does a 4 cylinder keep up with a V8??