Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Programmer III

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Hypertech Programmer III

My brother bought the Programmer 10 months back for $400 after being mislead into believing it was going to work on 3.8l Series II-III, LS1, LS6, LQ4, and LQ9 engines. I tried to tell him that they just don't cover that many engines with one programmer but alas, he bought it anyway. Well what do you know, little brother was right and it didn't work on his Buick LSS 3.8l series II engine.

Well hes been trying to sell it for $250 but no takers. Well he came to me today and asked if I wanted to buy it off him for $100 bucks. I told him I'd think about it because I just don't have much a use for it. As far as I know these programmers can adjust shift points, shift firmness, rev limiter, top speed, axle gears, tire/rim size, and on/off fan temperatures.

Well my car already has a dyno tune and I don't plan on adjusting anything until next year when I'm going to upgrade my cam, rockers, head, springs, pushrods, retainers, and UD pulley. After that I planned on getting a dyno tune to maximize the benefits to these internal upgrades. Other than that I don't really plan on adjusting anything else.

So with all that being said, is it worth buying still for the "just in case" situation? I'm just really not sure at this point to be honost. I'm not much for buying stuff I don't plan on using but in this case; there might be a need down the road for this programmer.

All opinions welcome!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You already have a dyno tune. That programmer is worthless to you. And if your next re-tune will be for a heads/cam package, you'll definitely need a full dyno re-tune; there is nothing that handheld can do to get your setup running right at that point.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got one for my bday from my cousin when i first got my car he spent like 150 for it on ebay.
i later sold it for 150 back on ebay lol.

its worthless if you already have a tune well its worthless with out a tune.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
My brother bought the Programmer 10 months back for $400 after being mislead into believing it was going to work on 3.8l Series II-III, LS1, LS6, LQ4, and LQ9 engines. I tried to tell him that they just don't cover that many engines with one programmer but alas, he bought it anyway. Well what do you know, little brother was right and it didn't work on his Buick LSS 3.8l series II engine.

Well hes been trying to sell it for $250 but no takers. Well he came to me today and asked if I wanted to buy it off him for $100 bucks. I told him I'd think about it because I just don't have much a use for it. As far as I know these programmers can adjust shift points, shift firmness, rev limiter, top speed, axle gears, tire/rim size, and on/off fan temperatures.

Well my car already has a dyno tune and I don't plan on adjusting anything until next year when I'm going to upgrade my cam, rockers, head, springs, pushrods, retainers, and UD pulley. After that I planned on getting a dyno tune to maximize the benefits to these internal upgrades. Other than that I don't really plan on adjusting anything else.

So with all that being said, is it worth buying still for the "just in case" situation? I'm just really not sure at this point to be honost. I'm not much for buying stuff I don't plan on using but in this case; there might be a need down the road for this programmer.

All opinions welcome!
The Hypertech power programmer III is year specific. So it might not even
be compatible with your car. That being said you don't want it anyways.
Dyno tunes done right are far superior than handheld tuners.
Your friend's best bet is to list it on ebay & hope someone buys it.
I bought one off of ebay a few years back for $100 shipped.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Teching In

junk!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+500000 Hypertech handhelds are junk unless you get it for like 50 bucks for a stock car just to check and clear DTC's.....and change gear ratios on a stock car. I dont even think it will allow you to operate the Hypertech if you have a dyo tune because usually they lock the computer.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Programmer III