Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers/exhaust

i just picked up my dream car since i was 10 my 98' ws6 trans am, it has a magna flow exhaust set up on it already and im pretty happy with the sound, but i want more power and louder sound. I'm starting off by putting headers and maybe an x or y pipe on it. I just want to know what's the best combination for my situation.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be honest with you... even after headers and off-road custom y-pipe my magnaflow cat-back still keeps my car pretty quiet... more quiet then any other long tubed LS1 car I have heard. To me it is loud enough because I do not **** the cops off, but if you want louder... the magnaflow isn't the best for that. If you really want to keep the magnaflow (since it is a good cat-back) you might want to also invest in a cut-out when you get headers and a y-pipe put on... then you can have it loud whenever you want.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think magnaflow is a really nice exhaust. It is pretty quiet at idle and when tooling around town, but once you put your foot in it you will definately hear it open up. It flows really well compared with other cat backs. Headers and y-pipe are a great way to go if you would like to hollow out your tone a bit. Just remember that without cats its probably going to start the notorious rasp.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its your DD I would suggest keeping the cats on it when putting headers on. Mine isnt my DD and im still glad I did b/c it took away the drone inside the car from the flowmaster muffler.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by udienow
I'll be honest with you... even after headers and off-road custom y-pipe my magnaflow cat-back still keeps my car pretty quiet... more quiet then any other long tubed LS1 car I have heard. To me it is loud enough because I do not **** the cops off, but if you want louder... the magnaflow isn't the best for that. If you really want to keep the magnaflow (since it is a good cat-back) you might want to also invest in a cut-out when you get headers and a y-pipe put on... then you can have it loud whenever you want.
who makes a good cut out...im actually looking into getting one...but havent done much research as of yet
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bwilde86
who makes a good cut out...im actually looking into getting one...but havent done much research as of yet
DMH all the way
Old 05-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im also looking at getting some cutouts...my LTs through the stock catback arent loud enough for me. Ive heard good things about QTP