Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Scraping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Scraping noise?

This has started happening about 1 month ago and its really random when it happens, the car in question is a 2001 z28 camaro with 77k miles on it.
After coming to a stop and once I have started accelerating again sometimes my car will sound like my rims are scraping the side of a curb and this sound is coming from the passenger side of the car.
If I turn the wheels all the way to one side and then the other I can hear the sound.
Also the sound never gets louder only quieter the faster i go and after driving for a while it will eventually disappear.
Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Check for something dragging or loose under the car. Check rubber bushings, For example- Transmission bushings and suspension bushings(not sure why it would be that but its worth checking). Also make sure nothing is rubbing the tires.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

ok will check those sometime this week. and do you think it could be the wheel bearings going bad?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Tw1tch
ok will check those sometime this week. and do you think it could be the wheel bearings going bad?
Yes. That would be my first guess with the noise and situation you described. If it is scraping badly enough you can raise the wheel up and spin it to see if you can hear the wheel bearing making noise. Also shake the wheel up and down and side to side and feel for play in the wheel.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

stock wheels?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a problem like this a month or two ago... never dawned on me to check the inside of my wheel... a little bit of the chrome had flaked up and I could hear a whisking noise every revolution from about 5mph up to 30. At first it started kinda hit and miss, and then eventually it was constantly. I thought it was the wheel hub, and I replaced it. I eventually rotated the tire from front to rear to see if the noise followed the wheel or it stay up front. I noticed the flake or chrome as I was mounting the wheel up on the back. I face-palmed really hard. Definitely make sure there isn't something on the inside of the wheel!!

Quick Reply: Weird Scraping noise?