New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident, car doesn't work - accident didn't cause?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident, car doesn't work - accident didn't cause?

Long story short. My car was T-Boned by a bone-head who didn't see the big red stop sign.

car went from this

to this

My car does not run says the dealer it was sent to for repairs. They said 3 fuel injectors are shot 1, 5, and 7. All left hand side injectors. And it was "wear and tear" that made them all die.
~ Insurance wont cover the repairs despite my car went from running to not working at all ~

Anyways, if anyone know insurance well, am i being screwed over?

If not, how can i fix it? They are quoting me at $600 minimum........
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to find used stock injectors on here for less than $100.

What's the car doing (or not doing).

Do you have any codes?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Your being screwed. Something caused them to short out from the impact of the accident.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Codes as told by dealer, Misfire in cylinder 1, 5, and 7, codes - knocking
Body shop guy who drove it to service department said it is way underpowered and almost shut itself off a few times - can not make a 90 mile drive back to my house

If i can get details on how impact can cause them not to work, it will help me alot - USAA said since the impact didn't penetrate all the way to my engine, it could not have damaged them because they are inside the engine block protected
Old 06-17-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by owlpuff
Codes as told by dealer, Misfire in cylinder 1, 5, and 7, codes - knocking
Body shop guy who drove it to service department said it is way underpowered and almost shut itself off a few times - can not make a 90 mile drive back to my house

If i can get details on how impact can cause them not to work, it will help me alot - USAA said since the impact didn't penetrate all the way to my engine, it could not have damaged them because they are inside the engine block protected
That's what I was thinking too. There's no way an injector would go bad like that unless the wires were cut and being shorted.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rediculous, man!

If the car ran fine prior to the accident and now barely runs after the accident, how can ANY insurance company get away with trying to blame this on "wear and tear"? I don't care if the injectors are stored in bulletproof container under the hood. Something obviously happened to them or the wiring that controls them as a result of the accident.

I think you should get a little aggressive with your insurance provider.

I'm sure the dealer that ran the codes can tell you what day they were first stored in the PCM. If its prior to the accident then I guess you're fucked. But if they showed for the first time after the wreck, then you have a leg to stand on and you need to point this out to the insurance company.

Tell them if this isn't covered under the accident claim, you'll happy to find a different provider to give your monthly payment to.

I just can't believe this. They're more than happy to take your money, but getting what you're owed from them is like pulling teeth.

Stand up, man, and demand they make this right.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea, it takes all of one minute to pop out the injector and through in a replacement. im sure someone on here is selling them dirt cheap if they went to a bigger injector.

id get nasty with the insurance company if i were you, injectors dont just "wear" out all 3 at once for no reason.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 AM
10 Second Club

Fwiw, I sold 2 good complete sets for $50. You should be able to ****** a set of stock 26# injectors for less than $50.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I sold my 28.5 #'s for $50 on here.....
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

If you are able to, work on it yourself and you will be fine money wise.

Are you pulling donuts in dirt?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

a few minutes to pop them out... i wonder why the labor is over $300 =\ dealer is trying to charge me $115 each.. and i am at point where i am starting to get nasty.. As they want me to pay $500 deductible fo accident i didnt cause .. in talks with manager of claims in USAA now... bout to take it higher, they hold both my cars and house insurance though, dont know if i can find another good company as they give good discounts xD so trying to deal with this both carefully and aggressively

all i need is a little guide on how to do it, and i can work on it myself, if anyone knows anyone selling some, send em my way!!

and yes i was doing doughnuts in the dirt xD

Can you find the hidden trans am parts?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure the fuel rail is held in place by 4 bolts.. Unbolt the fuel rails and unclip the injectors, take injectors out.. Put new injectors in! Very easy.. Just lay a few paper towels down to collect the gas so it doesnt leak all over your engine.

I know New Era has a great deal on injectors.. Give them a call... Mike or Shawn will be able to help you out and give you a good deal on them if you cant find any around in the classifieds.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did ya get any KY or Vaseline with yer screwin'?!?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

i got a sandpaper condom so far
Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell them to stuff it.

Maybe the injectors themselves are OK, but that doesn't mean the wiring to them is bad. What are the odds of 3 to go bad at once? Not to mention, 3 on the same side as the impact?!

Besides, why is your insurance in this? The other guy's insurance should be paying for it, yours should just be making sure they pay for it more than anything.... and the deductible is crap, not your fault so you shouldn't have to pay a cent.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

the person who hit me had no insurance.. so they get a buted pos car and 2 tickets, thats all, not im the one who has to duffer all this **** because of their lack of insurance. now does the wiring to the injectors go to the fuse box that is the front left of the car?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the power source for them is from that fuse box. In the fuse box #2 in the corner. One fuse does the driver side, the other fuse does the passenger side.

People without car insurance suck. The penalty should be much higher than just a couple tickets. Should lose their license or something like that.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the assbackwards world of insurance shenanigans, you could have luck suggesting that the impact shook you up a bit and that you now think if the injectors failed due to wear and tear, you somehow stalled/rolled (however it could work into the indisputable details) in front of the other driver who would have otherwise had the right of way. therefore, you should be held responsible for their damages and your insurance company should pay for whatever happened to their car.
some worthless liability adjuster may then find it easier to go through the effort of proving your car was sound prior to the accident by forcing an expert to discover the true extent of the damage and refute the garbage they expected you to accept in the first place, thereby getting your car fixed by said worthless insurance company.

you could also talk them into sending the injectors to some company like rc engineering to figure out what happened to them (they'll probably decline and instruct you to do it on your own dime).

it would be best to visit the usaa adjuster in person and have them explain the whole wear and tear to the injectors to your face.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

@Bro, Douchebag because i dont live to run my T/A 1/4-1/2 mile down a straight road for ***** and giggles and i'm not afraid to take it down busted up backroads and have fun on dirt roads? If thats the qualities of a dueche, then i by far am.... get your trolling *** out of here

As far as details on the accident, i was on a road with no stop signs, straight through main road all the way down, the lady that hit me came from a side road with stops both sides, and fast enough to spin my car about 70 degrees

i will try to see if i can get a ride to the shop tomorrow, they towed it to one 90 miles way fro repairs and my current 8mpg busted POS wont make it there
Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribing.....

this is horseshit.

the power for the PCM comes from the fusebox, and the injectors are controled from there.

however, regardless of what happend to what, it was working when you got hit, and now its not. simple as that.