Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance issues with WS6 lower airbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance issues with WS6 lower airbox

I have a non-WS6 lower airbox with an SLP lid. Right now, even with my ws6 style hood, there is always a white paint mark on my lid from it hitting and rubbing on the hood.

my question is, since the gap on the ws6 lower airbox is 1'' larger, will that create major clearance issues with my lid? or does it sit a certain way to where the lid clearance would be fine?

also, not 100% sure if my hood is standard ws6 or an aftermarket look-a-like. it does have the functional ramair opening and such. if i had to guess, it's aftermarket. but ive seen other ws6's and the hood is identical as far as i can tell. dont know if that makes a difference?

any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

#1) Does your car have the "WS6" RPO code on the driver's side door jamb sticker?
If not, it's an added hood. Can't tell ya if it's an aftermarket or not tho.
#2) Make sure the front lip of the airlid is BEHIND the front lip of the base.

Read up on all the SLP lid issues. Perhaps search "SLP rubbing" & you'll find a ton of related threads.
Since you're having issues with it rubbing on the lower sitting base, I'd have to say you're sure of having the rubbing issue if you go to the raised WS6 base.
Until you figure out that the lid is not sitting where it needs to, or something like that, ...

There are many people who use the WS6 base & the SLP lid that do NOT have the rubbing issue.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
#1) Does your car have the "WS6" RPO code on the driver's side door jamb sticker?
If not, it's an added hood. Can't tell ya if it's an aftermarket or not tho.
#2) Make sure the front lip of the airlid is BEHIND the front lip of the base.

Read up on all the SLP lid issues. Perhaps search "SLP rubbing" & you'll find a ton of related threads.
thanks...i think

im aware my car is not a ws6. i was just highlighting that I did not know if the hood was a stock ws6 hood taken off a ws6, or an aftermarket. im pretty sure its aftermarket, but i wanted to clarify that those were fitted the same as the stockers.

also, i did search for slp rubbing. there were a few threads about it but none of them highlighting if a ws6 lower box would raise the lid any more than it already is.

do you know if it will?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mile_high51
im aware my car is not a ws6. i was just highlighting that I did not know if the hood was a stock ws6 hood taken off a ws6, or an aftermarket. im pretty sure its aftermarket, but i wanted to clarify that those were fitted the same as the stockers.

also, i did search for slp rubbing. there were a few threads about it but none of them highlighting if a ws6 lower box would raise the lid any more than it already is.

do you know if it will?
Okay, my mistake, ...
I'm sure the WS6 base will raise the lid even higher, making your current issue worse than it is.

Check to make sure the lid is sitting back where it's supposed to first.

I don't know if there's a way to definitely tell whether or not it's genuine GM WS6 hood or not.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Okay, my mistake, ...
I'm sure the WS6 base will raise the lid even higher, making your current issue worse than it is.

Check to make sure the lid is sitting back where it's supposed to first.

I don't know if there's a way to definitely tell whether or not it's genuine GM WS6 hood or not.
So you do think the higher ws6 base will raise the current lid position, inevitably causing more severe clearance issues? That is mainly what i needed to know.

Any insight on what may be causing my lid to be higher than others? Like you said, I have seen cars with lids and ws6 lower airboxes that fit fine under the hood. My lid seems to be sitting correctly and I'm not noticing anything off or loose in any way. I would raise the hood stops but then that would throw off the hood being flush with the headlights and fenders...