Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sqeaky pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sqeaky pulleys

I just change the tensionor pulley and I still have something sqeaking. I want to do the underdrive pulleys but what else could it be that is sqeaking? How can i figure this out without changing every pulley on the motor? Are their certain pulleys that go out or should I just change them all? Where can I get a good price on the underdrive pulleys and does the brand matter when purchasing the UD pulleys?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take all of the pulleys off the car and regrease the bearings, you'd be surprised how dry these can be at times... Carefully pop the dust covers off the bearings with a small screwdriver or pick and repack 'em, then replace the dust covers. If there is excessive play or noise in any of the bearings your best bet would be to replace those...
Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,103 Posts

It's usually a tensioner or idler pulley. But the thing is, you have two of each (counting the A/C system).

Also, your problem might just be a bad belt and not a pulley at all.

I would start by removing the belt for the A/C system and see if the noise continues (you'll have to remove and re-install the main belt to do this). If it does continue, then at least you'll know that it's not something with the A/C. If not, well you get the picture.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a length of hose as a stethescope. You can use a piece of garden hose cut off in a pinch, but I use a 3' piece of 1/2" I.D. clear plastic tubing. Place on end to your ear and point the other end at various things until you find your squeaky pulley (or whatever it turns out.) Don't forget that you can grease most of the pulleys...there's a thread around somewhere that gives instructions.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a similar problem and will be repacking the idler pulley tomorrow. Heres the thread on how to repack them: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-pulleys.html
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

They take like 15 minutes to repack all 4. Its really easy and all the squeaks go away, I did mine just the other day.