Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch squeal! i NEED help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High pitch squeal! i NEED help!

Just recently replaced the power steering pump and high presure line. They sprayed all over the alternator and now im pretty sure it is going bad. At idle when the car is up to operating temp the car squeals really high pitch sound. Its not constant...it comes and goes. Every time i stop and want to look at it its stops Now i have came to the conclusion that my alternator is going bad by testing it and also because the gauge moves around at idle so i will be replacing that as money allows. Now the part that stumps me! When i shut the car off it still makes that sound for about 5-10 sec. It sounds like a balloon deflating. Any ideas? Ive had this car apart so many times i know everything should be hooked up right(vaccum lines and such) but im stumped

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

My vote, prob a idler pulley. Test it out, take off the main drive belt and crank her over for a few, if you still hear it, then its one of the pulleys for the ac system. Had the same problem when mine got flooded and water got up past the alternator. I thought the same thing, and had the same wiggle in the alternator gauge, but it panned out that I needed new belts and that one pulley. Again, just my vote.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Same hear, ^ those pulleys make a lot of noise. Catch it now before it does some real damage when it seizes. Before you buy another alt take it off and have the local Auto Zone test it 1st. Also if you got a lot of pwr strg fluid on the belt they will slip and cause all kinds of issues if not totally cleaned up from everywhere. This also will give goofy alt readings.

The fan blower motor can also make some weird noises and could still be running a little after you turn it off, take the fuse out and see if it goes away.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The hard part about testing where the sound is coming from is it only does it when the car is at full temp
Old 07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still have no idea what this could be any other opinions?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think it is the pulleys take the belts off and see if it goes away.. then turn and check the pulleys to see for a wobbly or rough grinding feel when spinning them.

If it doesn't go away you prolly have worse problems....
Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not a pulley probem.......it was a pvc problem and it is hopefully solved now

Quick Reply: High pitch squeal! i NEED help!