New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please enlighten me

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please enlighten me

I was looking at sending my PCM to texas speed to get a tune, but they were offering to do what the power programmer says it will do. I have seen posts saying that the hand programmers "suck" but never got a reason.
I had one for my LT1 and I thought it made a world of difference. Could you guys perhaps share your insight. Should I send my PCM to texas speed (all I have is exhaust done to my 99) for $250 or get a power programmer for $350.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just have a catback, wait till you do headers or anything else to your car. You will really benefit from a tune once you do more to your car. I waited till i had my headers, intake, TB and cam on till i brought it to get tuned.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at Frost on here, pcmforless or wait4me for a mail order tune.... A handheld cannot change the parameters a real tune can. And a retune when you add mods is usually inexpensive...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,094 Posts

First, best option is always a dyno tune, IMO.

If that is not pratical based on your proximity to a dyno tuner, then the next best option would be a mail order custom tune.

Hand held tuners are the worst. They do little, and are worth very little. Really they are only good for stuff like fan settings, speedo recalibration for gear swaps, shift point changes. Getting any actual increase in power or improved driveability will require some level of custom tuning, be it mail order or dyno tune.