Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

future engine build....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default future engine build....

ok sooo, i just got my black 02 WS6... got some mods and everything but i want to get into building an engine for it slowly piece by piece. eventually i will get another daily driver and i am gonna basically make the ws6 into a trailer car. just wanted to get some opinions on where to start. i was looking at the ls9 block and seems like its a good start. any opinions or suggestions? and this build will be about 2 years, piece by piece haha. any ideas on rough estimates on what i would be looking at spending on building a HIGH HP ls9 block engine? i figured engine alone might be around 15K, not too sure though. any advice or suggestions would be very helpful! thanks!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

15K would be a good number..........for a 454 LSX block build. I think you are SERVERELY underestimating the prices of parts and labor (unless you can do it yourself). The block alone is like $3,000. You can buy a shortblock for that.

What kind of money are you making to think you can do this? No offense, but you sound like a young guy whos happy with his new car thinking nothing will break and you can spend every dime you make on your car. We all have to start somewhere though.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

haha yeah, im young... in the military so money isnt exactly great but i have no bills, except cell. car is paid for, no rent, and with my lifestyle i have budgeted about 6 to 8 hundred a month i can throw into the build. i know their will be things here and there popping up but that is why i plan to build it slowly over a few years or so. not to mention, deployments. i am actually coming off deployment right now and when i am here i save right at 11 hundred every two weeks. i can build the engine up myself. i havent done anything too serious but i had a few projects growing up. i have done up a few small block projects with friends and what not. i mean, i just want to know if i wanna have a motor capable of single digits, what would be a good start
Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you trying to go single digits all motor?

You can do that with far less money than starting with an LS9 block, unless you want to be original. a regular old iron 6.0 truck block will work into the 4xx cubes and if you want more you can go with an LS3/L92 for a few more or an LSX to get the big cubes (block is 2 grand though). Check out different setups in the 9 second club forum on here and see what you like, and go from there
Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

well i really wanted an LS block. idk why? just... idk? i guess i am really falling for the whole LSX pride thing the more i get into the forum and about my car. i appreciate the help. i really wouldnt mind spending a few extra dollars by going a different more original route though