Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a drier the same thing as a dehydrator

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a drier the same thing as a dehydrator

I'm going to replace my ac compressor, it's leaking pretty bad. I was told to replace the drier along with it. Is a drier the same thing as a dehydrator. Also is really necessary to replace it?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not called a dehydrator, but a receiver drier. Not necessary to replace unless the compressor blew apart internally spreading metal throughout the system. If thats the case, the entire system will also need to be flushed.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe it's because I'm from the south, maybe it's because everyone and their brother hunts in my state.....but when I saw the title of this thread all I could envision was deer meat thumping around in someone's laundry room.....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a drier/accumulator. Yes, you should replace it if the system is either full of junk from a catastrophic failure of your compressor or if the system has been open to the air for any period of time.

As I understand it (from much reading in searches), it is full of the same stuff that you find in pill bottles and electronics boxes that removes moisture from the air. If the stuff gets too full of moisture the bag it is contained it can rupture, sending bits of it through your A/C system.

If it is full of compressor fail, then it can send that stuff back into your system and causing even more fail.

Also, check/clean your orifice tube.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to replace the accumulator and orfice tube to recieve warranty on the compressor. As the previously posted, it has desicant in the accumulator to remove moisture from the system. At a minimum, replace the accumulator, orfice tube and blow out the condensor with compressed air (there it most likey some metal in it. Remember to put 3-4 oz of pag oil in the accumulator when you install it.

Quick Reply: Is a drier the same thing as a dehydrator