Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me loss of power and holding 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me loss of power and holding 1st gear

I have a question for anyone who can help. I recently have had a few problems with my ls1 T/A. I had a misfire last week so I changed the plugs and wires to oe iridium plugs. The plugs I removed were bosch platnums which I have never had any luck with and the number 8 plug was original so I take it Had never been replaced. The car ran a lot better until I got down to less than a quarter of a tank. So I filled it up and it seemed to run fine. Then last night I had a 99-04 body style mustang pull up at a light and rev his motor. I usually make quick work of them but when I took off I felt a loss of power it got up to around 5 k rpm and wouldn't shift until I released the gas then it shifted and I was able to go again. I have a tuned chip in the car for HARD shifting from the previous owner . I hate how it shifts! It's too hard. The car used to chirp the tires into second gear now barely peels out in first. Uuggghhh! So listed below are th questions I need help with.

1. Why the loss of power with it holding 1st gear?
2. Why does it sputter on hard acceleration when below a quarter tank?
3.can I take out the stupid chip so it doesn't slam into gear? Will this return it to factory settings?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The loss of power sounds like the trans might be slipping. I don't know if the tuning is affecting that or not. Sounds like you need someone to check the trans out.

For the sputtering, I would say maybe the fuel gauge is off but if it got that low to cause a problem you would probably be running out of gas. Might be a fuel pump starting to go bad or possibly related to your trans problem or whatever tuning the previous owner had done.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bramlok! probably your transmission is going out check your fluid level also check your fuel pressure see if its low, change your fuel filter if it does not helps you are also looking at a pump that is going out!!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds... like the transmission is going from to much line pressure from shifting to hard probably destroying the internals.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

I'd check fuel pressure first. Sounds like fuel pump may be getting hot when fuel is low. Does it not go over 5k rpm in first? If your starving for fuel at 5k and it wants to shift at 5,500 then it will hold first gear at full throttle until you match that speed.
Anytime you ever suspect a transmission issue and there is also something to suspect with the way the engine runs - chase the engine issue first, and trans second.
Is your "service engine soon" light on?