Sponsored by:

98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum but not to the LSx scene. I have a 98 Camaro with a V6 and a 2002 Z28 that has been in an accident but was "repaired".

Long story short, I bought the Z28 because it was cheap and it runs fairly well. It has 153,xxx miles on it. I was planning to fix it up and drive it, but once i got it up on a lift, I noticed that the "repair" job wasn't all that great. So, I got to looking around for a V6 car with a blown engine and I found the 98 that I have. I'm planning to use whatever I need off of the Z28 to put the LS1 in the 98.

I was planning to put a 6.0 in the car, but I decided to wait on that. I need the car to be drivable relatively quickly without spending a **** load on it.

I'm not doing much to the LS1 before it goes in the 98. Details below:

-Newer set of 241 heads (very low mileage) unless I find some 243s
-Cam Upgrade (something from TSP or TR--- Suggestions?)\
-LS2 Timing Set
-LS7 Lifters
-New Pushrods
-Rocker Arm trunion upgrade
-LS2 Lifter trays
-.040" head gasket (to get a little more compression)
-LS6 intake until I can afford FAST 92/92 or 102
-Ported oil pump
-Performabuilt LV2 4L60e w/3500 stall
-3.73 gears (salvaged from Z28 until I get a new axle)
-TSP 1-7/8 LT headers
-3.5" exhaust

I probably forgot a few things, but that is it for the most part. Once the car is put together, it will be getting trailered to Thunder Racing for a dyno tune.

I would like to be able to run high 10s to low 11s with the car. This is just a starting point to work on reaching that goal.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to any questions, comments, or concerns.

Here's a few pics of the 98 RS. It needs a good bit of work, but it's nothing a little TLC and elbow grease can't fix.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-98-camaro-1.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-98-camaro-2.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-98-camaro-3.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-98-camaro-4.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-98-camaro-5.jpg  

Last edited by 98SSClone; 07-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Here is a few pics of the 02 Z28. This car doesn't look too bad, but it has been wrecked before. I don't want to take a chance on testing it's structural integrity. There are places under the hood where they attached equipment to straighten the front of the car back out. That's why I decided to buy a different car to put the LS1 in.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-camaro.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-ls1.jpg   98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project-camaro-interior.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

unless you plan on doing alot more work to the motor stay with the ls6 intake and if your going to put new heads etc might as well go with a cam. will probably need the ls1 wiring harness but could be wrong but everything should just bolt in and swap whatever parts that you may want but good luck and post your progress on here.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

you should have the frame measured to see how "bad" it is
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Zerokube-- Later on down the road, the car will be getting a built 370 or a 408. So, getting an intake would mainly be for when that time comes around. Also, I plan on going with a new cam. I just don't know which one yet. Possibly get a custom spec for what I want to do.

sjsingle1-- It is bad enough that the fenders and hood don't align properly with the doors on either side. I had buddy (who runs a body shop) try and see if he could get everything to line up, but he had no luck. He said the car was too "outta whack" still.

Besides, I got the 98 for really cheap. I don't think it will be too hard to swap everything over. Pretty much everything from the Z28 is going into the 98.
-Engine
-Rear Axle (Has 3.73 gears)
-Fuel Tank (98 had some rust in the bottom, Z28 has a plastic tank)
-Wiring Harness
-Interior (Dash, Seats, Center Console, etc.)
-Few body panels (Passenger Fender, possibly the hood)

I just need to get the car running and drivable. I'm gonna do other small upgrades later on as I can afford it.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro RS to Z28 Conversion Project