New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a project. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a project. Thoughts?

Hey everyone. I'm new to LS1tech, so I've got a lot of reading to do. But I thought I'd introduce myself and my project and see what thoughts you might have. After a couple decades with the Gen 1 sbc, I've decided to upgrade to an LS version for my 1967 Camaro. But with a family, I'm on a limited budget, so I'm trying to piece things together. Lots for me to learn, but it looks like I'm in the right place. My goal is to get 400HP/400lb ft. Do I have a chance?

Here's what I've got so far:
A used 5.3 with all the internals and heads
A used 4.8 with all the internals, heads, valve covers, van waterpump and fan, mounts, and coil packs
An LS1 intake, oil pan, starter, and ECM/wiring from a '98 Corvette

I still have to tear the motors down to see what's exactly wrong with them. There will obviously be some amount of rebuild needed, but the cylinder walls on the 5.3 don't even have ridges in them yet. My plan so far:

If possible, re-use stock pistons with new rings and bearings (if a bore is needed, anyone know how far I can go?).
Use 5.3 heads (I've read they flow pretty good -- better than LS1 heads -- any porting/polishing suggestions?)
Get new cam/lifters (any suggestions?)
Obviously replace timing chain, gaskets, etc.
headers (any suggestions?)

I'm hoping a good cam, the LS1 intake, better breathing (no cats), and a good tune will get me to the 400/400.

I'd also like to add overdrive (currently have a Muncie 4 speed). But T56 trannys apparently are made of gold, or at least anyone who has one thinks they are based on asking prices. Any thoughts on using a T5? I'd like to avoid going with a slushbox.

Sorry for the long post. I'm geeked to get going on this, and I know it will take some time. Also look forward to talking with you all over time. Later.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

A new cam, ported heads with an LS6 intake on an otherwise 5.3 should get you pretty close to 400 rwhp. Check out the classified section for a T56. One will pop up there every now and then
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

i've been keeping an eye out for a t56 myself, just not ready to pull the trigger, and there are decent deals out there if you're patient
Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. I will watch the classifieds here for a T56. No hurry. I'm also looking at some of the kits out there since I'll need everything and the kits with all new parts are nearly what people want for used trannys.

Anyone do their own porting on the 5.3 heads? Any recommendations on shops that do a good job?

I didn't find an LS6 intake, but got a good deal on the LS1 intake. Hopefully I can still make decent power with it. Still need injectors/rails for it.