Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a LM7 in the states

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying a LM7 in the states

I've just started a project on a Burb from 1971 in Sweden and I'm thinking about ordering an engine from the states due to good prices and availability. My budget is a little tight but I've read about a couple of ls builds that landed around 3000 US dollars which to me seems affordable.

My budget is about 3000-3500 US dollars right now and I wonder if there's any company or private person able to offer me a complete engine w/ tranny and tuning for that kind of money.

I've been reading and planing around this article (and a couple of threads on forums): http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html
I hope to reach about the same output.

I'm looking for a solid and reliable engine with a little preformance that will get me about 17-20 mpg in the city and 22-25 mpg on the highway. As mentioned I hope to get this done with a 5.3L LM7 ~400 rwhp and a 4L80E or 6L80E tranny.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shipping will kill 1/5 of your budget. Then you need to worry about the fueland electrical. 400rwhp with an auto wont be the most tame car unless you buy some awesome heads.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Thank you for your answer!

I've read on a Swedish forum that the shipping would be around 200-500 US dollars. I will call a freight company tomorrow to be sure about that. Why would I be worried of fuel and electrical?

What heads would you prefer in that case? The reason why I'm aiming at 400 rwhp is because it seems to be standard in every other project thred that I've found so far on both LS engines and the LM7 :S

Feel free to give me solutions, I'm a proud owner of my BigBadBurb and think that he deserves the best that I can afford and would not give up that easily
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

BTW, I meant 400 hp at the crank and not on rear wheels, got it all wrong. Makes a little difference...

Last edited by Nicko-j; 09-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.