Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in line, or in tank fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in line, or in tank fuel pump?

I'm putting a 5.3L into my CJ7. I'm still pretty green to the LSx platform, so I have a few questions. I planned on running a walbro 255 pump in-line,to a corvette filter /regulator (p/n wix-33737) then a return line from the fuel rail to the tank. simple right?

Recenetly, a friend told me I need a pump in tank, to feed the walbro external fuel pump. his justification is the in line pump is designed to push the fuel out at XX psi, but not "pull" it as well. can anyone confirm or deny this?

thanks, Kyle.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen systems that require a intake pump to push fuel to a in line pump so you friend can be correct, I am not 100% sure if your setup needs the dual pump setup but some do require it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

an in-tank would be ideal (keeps pump quieter, cooler, and protected from debris while offroading)

and inline pump will work too, but some pumps will not "pull" fuel out of the tank - they need to be mounted below the tank so fuel will gravity drain to the pump.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fuel cell is mounted behind the seats, so keeping it below the tank shouldnt be an issue. The gravity feed is a good point. protection while off-roading should be no problem either, I would rather place it in-line in a convienent, well protected spot, so I have the ability to change it on the trail, if need be.

thanks for the tips guys.

Quick Reply: in line, or in tank fuel pump?