New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam and high mile engines (220k+)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam and high mile engines (220k+)?

I did the search, read the seafoam stickys and didn't find my answer so I'm hoping someone can give some good advice on seafoam.
I have a 220+k mile 5.3 in my truck and would like to clean it out. It's never been done on this motor.
It it safe to do the top end treatment AND the crank case treatment at this kind of miles?
I'm in the middle of my first fuel system treatment and can already feel improvement.

The motor runs decent now but does ping a little on occasion. I'm sure there is a ton of crap that could be blown out.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've run seafoam in my gas tank before with no issues. Used Mopar combustion chamber cleaner for the intake though. All of that coupled with a tune up netted me +2mpg increase and an improved idle.

As far as the crankcase is concerned, I want nothing but oil passing through there. Just my $.02 though
Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I've run seafoam in my gas tank before with no issues. Used Mopar combustion chamber cleaner for the intake though. All of that coupled with a tune up netted me +2mpg increase and an improved idle.

As far as the crankcase is concerned, I want nothing but oil passing through there. Just my $.02 though
Thanks for the advice. I'm really reluctant to run it through the crank case. I'm really wanting to clean the valves/chambers/pistons though. I may try that out. I'll look into the Mopar stuff. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

the top end is always safe for seafoam. im sure someone will argue with me that mccc (mopar combustion chamber cleaner) works better but i plan to do seafoam in my fuel, seafoam in my top end, then mccc in my top end just for a good thorough top end clean since its the most important and most noticable part.

im not doing seafoam in my crankcase because my 97 lt1 160k miles has a minor oil leak. its no big deal now but i dont want to make it worse by clearing out all the gunk that may be holding the seals together.

its up to you whether or not to do your oil but fuel treatment and top end cleaning are always a good idea IMO
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
the top end is always safe for seafoam. im sure someone will argue with me that mccc (mopar combustion chamber cleaner) works better but i plan to do seafoam in my fuel, seafoam in my top end, then mccc in my top end just for a good thorough top end clean since its the most important and most noticable part.

im not doing seafoam in my crankcase because my 97 lt1 160k miles has a minor oil leak. its no big deal now but i dont want to make it worse by clearing out all the gunk that may be holding the seals together.

its up to you whether or not to do your oil but fuel treatment and top end cleaning are always a good idea IMO
Great, thanks! I'll do the topend this weekend.

Quick Reply: seafoam and high mile engines (220k+)?