New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Direct Fit Cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Direct Fit Cats

Anybody buy a new set of of these for your car? I just purchased the 23477 and 23489 to replace my original ones that are giving me a SES light. Well, the passenger side has to be replaced so I decided to do both sides and not be worried about it again. Misssed the factory recall by a year.
My question/problem is the 23489 (passenger side) looks like it is used. Both cats came in basically plain white cartons with a part number sticker only on the box. The 23477 looks basically new, though there is some residue on the inside of the pipes, and that box was closed with those heavy staples. But the other almost looks like it has carbon deposits in it and is in a box that folds closed. Is it possible I am seeing residue from welding done on the pipes to make this a direct fit? Is it possible I'm getting a returned/refurbished unit? Do they put these thru some sort of test before sending them out and I am seeing the result of that? They are both supposed to be brand new.
Thanks for any direction. Hopefully I posted this in the right place...
bruce
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Okay, the units were fine. They are now installed and I will tell all that these are truely DIRECT FIT for the factory units. Easy R&R.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Oh yea, one important question...
I'm definitely new at these newer type cars. Mine are all old. Now that I have changed to these cats, do I have to worry about doing any type of tuning or should everything be okay at factory settings?
Thanks, Bruce
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure you're fine, you need to do a lot of crap to your car before a tune is required. I have longtubes and no cats, and at one point I had a 2800 stall. No tuning, except to turn off the emissions codes that were turning the SES light on.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info.! Car went right thru NJ inspection, though it was funny watching the guy check out the cats on the car. He grabbed that mirror to look under the car at least three times...
Car is running great and I am now looking forward to lots of fun driving it. Since I'm new at these kind of cars, I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything esle.
Again, I would stongly recommend these cats as replacements for originals if needed and you need to keep cats on the car.
Bruce
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine about six months ago. They sound louder due to the lower cell count vs stock cats. No codes thrown etc. Of course they wont pass california because they are 49 state style cats.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Direct Fit Cats