Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with future build

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Help with future build

Alrighty where to start. im in the army currently and my location doesnt allow me to find lsx parts, or motors for that matter. Im stationed in Germany at the moment for 3 years. and i want to build a lsx motor when i get home to put into my 97' s10 project truck. i know what block i want to use. but im unsure as to what parts to buy for my needs. I want to buy a fully assembled motor like a LQ4. id like to stroke it out to atleast a 408 if possible. power goals are atleast 500HP or more. which im sure is doable. but idk what my budget should be. im not too concerned with cost. but i dont want to have a $10,000 motor. something conservative. but fast. Ive always like turbo setups and im sure with the right parts and kit (or a DIY turbo kit) i can reach my power goals and go much much higher with power. any help with parts and such to write down would be great. i know i know use the search button, but aftermarket parts change all the time, and manufactures change, etc its good to have what people run currently on their setups.

Brandon
Old 06-16-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you looking to do a turbo motor or a N/A motor build ?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

probably better off doing a turbo build. im sure i will have enough saved during these 3 years for it.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is this going to be mainly a street car or strip ? What transmission are you going to run ?
Also give this a read... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

It's going to be a street truck. I was wanting to use a 6-speed
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

For a street car I would recomend 9.5-1 compression with the motor. I'm around 9.1-1 and its a little sluggish off boost. I'm going to up my compression on my next build.
Are you set on a turbo or are you up for a supercharger ? The reason I ask is because most turbo guys with a 6 speed trans end up swaping to an auto trans. The auto trans will load the turbo better and keep the boost up. Just more to think about and do some home work on.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty set on a turbo setup. Not sure what the best parts would be to use for a LSX motor with a 9.5-1 setup. Might just stick with a stock bottom end for now and maybe add some aftermarket parts to the top end. I've never really thought about using a auto. They do tend to brake if abused or not built for the kind of power some of these LSX motors have. Same with 6 speeds if not built to handle the power. Kinda a 50/50 on what to use
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do some home work in the forced induction section on your transmission choice, lots of good info. A 6 speed and a turbo will work together and make great power, so I'm not trying to talk you in to an auto. Just making you aware that most 6 speed guys with a turbo end up swaping in a stalled auto trans to get the most bang for the buck.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

I've always liked manual trans for my vehicles personally. but I will look at the forced induction. Ive read the cost of forced induction in there and it's pretty informative Thankyou for the link. My real main concern is the motor itself. I know with a good tune and the right combo and good trans. my truck will make some pretty good power

Brandon