New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt ls1 or Lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say get your current block checked out before dropping any money. If it's rebuildable/good block core - then figure out what you'de like to do with your money. There will always be 6.0's in the yards for many years to come, but having the money to build the motor you want might not always come easy.

That's what I'd do, anyways.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow...lift and duration have nothing to do with the valve train....now I've heard it all and can die a happy man.

Oh an the lsa has good enough internals to last the warranty. That's like asking why GM put the 10 bolt f bodies and saying it's a "performance" rear end.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lq4 might make just as good power as an ls1, but the extra 100 lbs will show fast in a race. I am getting an 383 Stroker in my Z
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bww- I'm on my phone and text is small so your **** reads "BMW" hence why I said to take your BMW elsewhere. Also mobile version of ls1tech doesn't show signatures. Back to the arguing. My reason for op not building an iron 6.0 is the same as stated above, its heavy. And correct me if I'm wrong but in previous posts I thought you were spouting about the lq4 not being a motor setup for FI? Yes as stated a billion times we all know the lq4 was a truck and suv motor. Cool beans right? I never said the lq4 was a factory intended boost motor. Again, here on ls1tech we USE them for boost due to their low compression and iron blocks. I don't get why your still arguing that. Just because it doesn't have forged pistons from the factory doesn't mean you should never boost it. Now back to the point. The op wants mild power to the 450 range. Easily attainable from the ls1 he already has. Hence he can save more money and build it up. I mean if the blocks good why toss it and buy another one if it ain't broke. He can easily heads and cam his current motor and make his power goals while maintaining drivebility. IMO he'd spend more money in a motor swap than building his current motor. And if his block is fucked then pickup another ls block there cheap and easy to find. All I'm saying is if his power goals are low and in the 450 range why build a heavier motor adding more weight to the front not to mention the heat soak an iron block becomes, when he can build a lighter, cooler ls1 and still have his power goals. Yes he'd have even more with the 6.0 not denying that but is the additional weight and reduced cooling ability what he really wants? either way I'm done in this thread OP you will have dozens of people telling you different things just so what seems right to you.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Well said sir, well said. I can agree to disagree as both of us seem to have valid points. Good debate.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We have motors rated to 600HP ready to make the 450HP you are looking for and warranty even with the Nitrous on the motor starting at $1519 in short block form. (Iron 5.7 with new TMS pistons, GM crank and rods, Clevite main/rod bearings, Durabond Cam bearings, Balanced, assembled, and ready to install). We also have aluminum 5.7's starting at $1799.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thompson
We have motors rated to 600HP ready to make the 450HP you are looking for and warranty even with the Nitrous on the motor starting at $1519 in short block form. (Iron 5.7 with new TMS pistons, GM crank and rods, Clevite main/rod bearings, Durabond Cam bearings, Balanced, assembled, and ready to install). We also have aluminum 5.7's starting at $1799.
i was looking on your site and you guys have some great prices.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
i was looking on your site and you guys have some great prices.
We try to be as competitive as possible so that we can give the consumer the best product available. Feel free to call or PM us and we can set you up with what ever you need.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
Wow...lift and duration have nothing to do with the valve train....now I've heard it all and can die a happy man.

Oh an the lsa has good enough internals to last the warranty. That's like asking why GM put the 10 bolt f bodies and saying it's a "performance" rear end.
Why do you think Comp Cams has like 20 different lobe styles available? Some, such as the Marine lobes, are gentle while others, such as the LSK lobes, are harsh and tear the **** out of valvetrains. Looks like you need to research cam design.

So the LSA cast pistons are good for boost but the cast lq4 pistons are not...please do explain.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Bww- I'm on my phone and text is small so your **** reads "BMW" hence why I said to take your BMW elsewhere. Also mobile version of ls1tech doesn't show signatures. Back to the arguing. My reason for op not building an iron 6.0 is the same as stated above, its heavy. And correct me if I'm wrong but in previous posts I thought you were spouting about the lq4 not being a motor setup for FI? Yes as stated a billion times we all know the lq4 was a truck and suv motor. Cool beans right? I never said the lq4 was a factory intended boost motor. Again, here on ls1tech we USE them for boost due to their low compression and iron blocks. I don't get why your still arguing that. Just because it doesn't have forged pistons from the factory doesn't mean you should never boost it. Now back to the point. The op wants mild power to the 450 range. Easily attainable from the ls1 he already has. Hence he can save more money and build it up. I mean if the blocks good why toss it and buy another one if it ain't broke. He can easily heads and cam his current motor and make his power goals while maintaining drivebility. IMO he'd spend more money in a motor swap than building his current motor. And if his block is fucked then pickup another ls block there cheap and easy to find. All I'm saying is if his power goals are low and in the 450 range why build a heavier motor adding more weight to the front not to mention the heat soak an iron block becomes, when he can build a lighter, cooler ls1 and still have his power goals. Yes he'd have even more with the 6.0 not denying that but is the additional weight and reduced cooling ability what he really wants? either way I'm done in this thread OP you will have dozens of people telling you different things just so what seems right to you.

A lq4 is only 60ish lbs heavier than a ls1...something you wouldnt even notice especially over the extra displacement and power the lq4 would make.

If you plan on rebuilding the ls1 w/ forged pistons or swapping in a stock lq4, the end cost would be roughly the same. Plus since you already have the ls1 out, you can easily just freshen it up (keep the stock pistons, just new seals, bearings, rings, etc) and sell it for $2k+, which is more than you would spend on a lq4. In the long run, the lq4 will be better for more power. Short term, you can't really go wrong either way.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

depends on your future setup or idea's lq4/lq9 is a better motor/n20 motor imo and a 5.3 is the better boosted motor and a ls1 is jus to expensive to rebuild i was in same kind of dilemna and i chose a lq9/408 stroked n20 setup
Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

The lq4 is just a little over 100 lbs heavier than an ls1. There is a thread in the sticky where someone weighed the blocks. Either way, you are right, You probabtw wouldn't notice it unless bracket racing.

On The note of cam lobe design, yes, lobe profile determines your VO and VC points and ramp rates, which do play a major role in what kind of stress the valvetrain is under, however, lift and duration are also major players in that game as well, and to say they don't is just ignorant.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, sure if you had a cam with .650" lift while running .600" lift springs you'd be in trouble, yet with a decent (not harsh) lobe profile running .6" lift on a .65" spring, i fail to see any problems. However a harsh profile such as the LSK would still eat those springs over time.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

Agreed. Again, good debate.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

I just bought stock 5.3... Why are they good?

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a high mileage lq4 for $400 to replace my ls1. I tore the lq4 down today, it looked good internally,very good for the miles on it..

I'm planning on reringing the lq4, use the heads off my 98 ls1, mill the heads about .010-.015 or use a thinner head gasket, add ls6 valve springs and probably an asa or hot cam, and a good tune.. It should run strong, have good torque,not be expensive and be a solid street engine...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Very helpful info here keep it coming.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Since you can make 450 wheel on a h/c ls1. How much nitrous can you add on top of that on a stock internal engine?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wun mirrion hosepowaa

Quick Reply: Rebuilt ls1 or Lq4 swap