Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty swap Question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warranty swap Question.

i just recently purchased an extended warranty for my 01 ws6, i was talking with the service manager and asked him, if something happened and my motor was to "blow up" and he interups me and says we will cover it man, you just bought the best warranty out there. I then finished what i was going to ask him which was, could they slip an LS6 in its place?. He told me that i would have to pay the diff. of the two(because GM only replaces what was factory installed), AND it would still be covered under warranty.
Is this actually possible(being covered under warranty)?
Anyone know what the price diff. would be?
Does this require a new PCM?

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Launching!

ive heard of it happening before, as a matter of fact i almost bought a car that had an LS1 and then had an LS6 put in it from someone on these boards. AND it had the 100k mile warranty to? so i guess its possible. Yes u would probably need a new PCM which i am guessing they would throw in during the swap? And im not too sure about the price difference but i would guess it would be SOMEWHERE in the thousands of course.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

price difference in in the hundreds, if that.

when your talking crate motors, they're about = in price

Ryan
Old 04-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Teching In

so they can actually do this? would they replace it with a complete crate motor or a long block? Any other info i should consider before hand?

whats the easiest way to let my tired ls1 go...?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

long block. thats all we ever do, unless we get a junkyard motor.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Talking

I can answer this question with pretty good accuracy since I just got my engine swapped out under my extended warranty.

My engine was getting piston slap pretty bad and there were some problems with it backfiring with only 57K miles on it. So the warranty company told GM that it was ok the swap out the motor. GM then went looking for a replacement block but they don't use the LS1 block as the replacement. I ended up getting a new LS6 long block (new from the heads down). My eyes bugged out when they told me I was getting it . The LS6 block new was around $6,000 and the labor was around $2,500. My payout was only $75 because of my deductable.

To top it off there wasn't even a core charge for the new block and when I asked my extended warranty if I could have the old block they said OK!

So now I have a brand spankin' new LS6 engine in my Z and a LS1 block, heads and all, with only 57K miles on it sitting in my garage.

Any suggestions what I should do with it?