New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (probably non-issue) Mysteries...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New (probably non-issue) Mysteries...

Greets all,
Well I went to change the oil today and a guy came along and said that our SS did not look stock under the hood... Interesting, since we just got the car from a dealership (although not a GM dealership).

He did not go into details but this got me thinking. He mentioned something about the cam, and I am curious what I should look for to see if it has been altered? It is a 2002 so I know it has the LS6 parts upgrade (intake man. etc.) but what are the signs I should look for in regard to a head/cam or just a cam change? Any ideas?

We (my wife and I) were told the car was traded in because the guy wanted a truck, but one of the great people on here ran our VIN through Carfax and it showed that the car had in fact been repossessed...

To tell the truth I have only looked under the hood once or twice prior to today and only to see if everything was in order/clean and check the fluid levels...

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Old 04-18-2004, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Well, you can't actually see the cam since it is inside the motor. Most likely if the car has an aftermarket cam it will have a lopey idle, that's the only thing that would indicate to some stranger that you have a cam. But if it does have a cam .
Old 04-18-2004, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

lol... I am sorry I did not mean he saw the cam itself he just heard the car idling while checking for proper seal/oil pressure...
Old 04-18-2004, 10:27 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it had a cam worth while you'd know it.
Otherwise you can inspect the gasket etc & see if their new or have sealant on them.
Were where you getting the oil changed maybe the luber dude never saw a LS1?
That thar don't lok 'em stock yur knew?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, that was my thought too... The car runs super strong, but that (I presume) is just an LS1 common trait...

Y'ouins juss make ma' day! Har har, ma' 'camaro thar, prolly juss stock too ya know!